Coming back!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
wazza

Coming back!

Post by wazza »

Hi all,
I just wanted to say hi and that I'm back on the board. I had a TBPI in '06, lost the use of my right arm for ~2 years in a 2006 mbike injury but it's sllloowwlly coming back. Well, I'd say it's kind of 50% back? I've lost my bicep still as the main injury, I can't turn my wrist clock wise when standing and having palms facing down. I can't bend/flex my arm at all 'properly' but I can raise my arm at least about 90c from dangling.

It's good enough that I've started a family, proud father of a 10 month old daughter, OLD PICS at http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j250/undii/cassy/ Cassandra Vienna <3 And the latest pic I have of us together on the net http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4963/0 ... 4small.jpg

So, overall I am amazed at where I am, *hoping* I get more function back obviously but if it plateus here, I wouldn't consider this a "deal breaker" with a 'level' I would have as 'workable'. It's hard to put it in words, I guess if I had 'zero arm' for life, I'd let it "get to me" as opposed to keep feeling (mentally) strong and still a zest for life in some capacity. I was doing physio somewhat intense for a couple years but took off the past 1-2 years due to seeing some people (other mbike riding friends) regain 'lost' arm use from TBPI with doing no physio. So I wanted to see if I was 'stressing' my arm too much from doing physio that may have held it back, as we mostly know, it's a grey area with our injuries so nothing is really set in stone on what to do but basically, don't give up I guess. It can be hard, I hit rock bottom mentally a couple times but made a resolve not to get 'that low' again and well, I'm here, got a beautiful family and getting back on with life in my own reduced way but it's no where near "giving up" imo :)

The main negative(s) is, PAIN.. I still get 24/7 pain, nociceptive and neuropathic pains but well, I manage it "fairly well" with pain meds (oxycontin, lyrica, tramal for the main ones) so I can get around without being struck down toooooo much. Winter beats me around something stupid but still, it could be worse :) It looks like I may be employed again for the first time since late 06, some 6 months after my initial injury, I was still working but sacked when it came to having surgery to see "what was wrong" in my shoulder due to no natural recovery from a somewhat 'simple' low speed injury. I fractured my wrist, 1st rib and "that was it", besides not being able to move my arm, something the doctors missed (!!!) and dismissed me from hospital to come back 3 weeks in outpatients for them to find out I can't move my arm. I thought it was to do with the injury/accident and they said no, the 2 injuries I had should bare no impact on my arm movement and they said "oops, something is wrong". Not a good thing to hear from 2-3 doctors seeing me!

Well, I wish the best for everyone here, I plan on being about and hoping to either try to help people, either via a simple "cheer" post or two and/or any information I remember (not that much probably, lots of pain + pain meds back then make for a very hazy period during my initial injury + recovery period in 06-08+) Still, if I can bring at least some cheer into someone or some people's lives, I think I'm helping out :) For now, it's cursing the cold weather we are having here in Australia (Victoria), we recently moved to be near our respective parents (my wife's and I) due to starting our own family, we were ~2 hours drive so it made it hard for us to catch up "often". Now, we're seeing someone most days of the week <3 Love to all and thinking of you guys!
wazza

Re: Coming back!

Post by wazza »

I think I forgot to add this. I'm also restarting gym/pool work. We've joined as a family so we can take our daughter to the pool and learn to swim in time etc. Plus I can re take up the hydrotherapy I was doing end of 08 plus gym stuff to keep me "going". It's hard to exercise with my injury as my shoulder "pops" out of place easily due to the muscles not supporting the shoulder so I can only walk by either pushing our babies pram/stroller or elevating my arm by holding onto a backpack strap.

So.. I'm moving on in life with family side of things, hopefully "fitness" with gym + pool soon and possibly employment to some degree in time. It's a HUGE step compared to 08, never knew if I could work again in my career path as a "unix system + network administrator" due to the pain and loss of function (couldn't really type and/or install/fix hardware side of things). :mrgreen:
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Re: Coming back!

Post by AngelaW »

Hey, you soumd like you are in a great place and staying positive. Good luck and High-fives (with our good hands.... lol :lol:

Ang :)

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:22 am.