Ketamine Infusion for Pain

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Heidip
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: TBPI... Motorcycle police officer
My husband received a TBPI in June of 2005 when he was on his way to test motorcops for their duty riding skills. He was traveling east on a narrow 2 lane highway when a westbound minivan made an abrupt left hand turn directly in front of him. His shoulder went through the rear passenger window and his helmet caught on the frame. His BPI includes complete avulsion of all 5 nerves in the brachial plexus. He has undergon a gracillis free muscle transfer surgery at Mayo Clinic, and a DREZ procedure at OHSU. Unfortunately, he has very little movement; however, his shoulder does now stay in the socket. The DREZ did not really relieve his extreme pain; although it did change the dynamic of the pain. Pain is his constant companion, but he has since started a new career trying to find the balance between keeping busy and wearing himself out.

Ketamine Infusion for Pain

Post by Heidip »

Anyone recently tried Ketamine Infusion therapy for avulsion pain? After 8 years of this constant pain, my husband is willing to try anything. His dr. has recommended trying a Ketamine infusion. Insurance has denied paying for this treatment as they say it is experimental. (seems like everything regarding pain management has gotten harder since the government has stepped into the healthcare system) We're considering going for it without insurance if there's even a remote chance it could help. We realize that everyone's different regarding response to pain management, but would love some feedback from anyone who has tried this option. Thanks!
djk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: extensive right side brachial plexus injury as a result of a motorcycle accident on 8/25/10.

Re: Ketamine Infusion for Pain

Post by djk »

i have not had an infusion but i have tried lozenges[?] and it does help with pain but also gives some unusual side effects. i'd suggest asking for some trial experience of some sort to see if the sides can be handled ok.
Heidip
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: TBPI... Motorcycle police officer
My husband received a TBPI in June of 2005 when he was on his way to test motorcops for their duty riding skills. He was traveling east on a narrow 2 lane highway when a westbound minivan made an abrupt left hand turn directly in front of him. His shoulder went through the rear passenger window and his helmet caught on the frame. His BPI includes complete avulsion of all 5 nerves in the brachial plexus. He has undergon a gracillis free muscle transfer surgery at Mayo Clinic, and a DREZ procedure at OHSU. Unfortunately, he has very little movement; however, his shoulder does now stay in the socket. The DREZ did not really relieve his extreme pain; although it did change the dynamic of the pain. Pain is his constant companion, but he has since started a new career trying to find the balance between keeping busy and wearing himself out.

Post by Heidip »

Thanks for the info. My husband uses fentenyl lozenges, but hasn't used the ketamine ones. I've read about some funky side effects with ketamine. It's just one of those things where my husband is wanting to try anything that offers some hope for relief from this pain and might allow him to back off of the daily meds. I can see that the constant pain has affected his general health as well as his overall attitude... which makes sense. It's just an awfully helpless feeling to watch.
Thank you for the advise!
djk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: extensive right side brachial plexus injury as a result of a motorcycle accident on 8/25/10.

Post by djk »

i'm 61. when i was in my late teens i tripped [used lsd] a couple times. ketamine gives a similar experience if one crosses a certain dosage threshold. that's the easiest way to explain my experience. it also can make walking difficult. so it is not the kind of chemical that one could expect to use if they still wanted to interface with the world in a big way. but it does disconnect one from usual pain experience.
onepaw

Post by onepaw »

I believe Dr. Schwartz in Harisburg Pennsilvania is the one to talk to.