ssi in florida for erbs palsy

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
shsetose

ssi in florida for erbs palsy

Post by shsetose »

Does anyone know of a way i can get ssi for my son. We live in florida and they say that he is not disabled because it does not effect.more then one extremity. To me it is a disability, he did not sit up on his own until he was 7months old. He is 11months old and just started to.stand. He can not play with his toys properly, he uses his feet and smacks them around with his left arm. While he lifts his right arm (the injured arm) with his shoulder, and not very high. How can i get ssi for my son. How can they say its not a disability? He had surgery recently and may need another one. He still falls flat on his face and can not crawl. He does not pit pressure on his right arm at all. i have applied calling it brachial plexus and erbs palsy, nothing works for these people. I need the money to pay for medical expenses.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: ssi in florida for erbs palsy

Post by Carolyn J »

I strongly advise Appealing the decision, you have the right. Appeal more than once, Appeal "Until". There also is a Thread on getting SSD that may help with the "terms" and specific information to Erb's/OBPI. I will try to bring it up for you.
The Bumped up THREAD on SSD/SSI is in theGeneral Forum/message Board.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/75
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I thought I should write here,
There got to be a way to share here :shock: :roll:
Its ERBS at birth , and a Mom worrying about SSD???
ERBS in arm not enough, True, many one arm people do learn to work, some how :shock:
Do you have a lawyer for the disability for your child ??? :roll: I was born in the 50s with birth erbs and yes , Having limitation in one arm is not enough :shock: but what seems to be missing , that does count is other medical condition and mental condition as a baby with erbs. Post traumatic experience can happen to a baby a child or and a latter in life injury to. It comes from trying and things we never can do one handed, Depression is the result of the harmful emotional experience , no matter when these injuries happen ,
IT is so important in filling for SSD, to list all medical issues and emotional ones to, I was the baby with erbs, my only good arm got rip up driving a semi, others get over use issues overtime. Everything counts in a decision, unfortunately the more medical issue you have other than , one arm will help more in a SSD case :shock: ;)
Real and true, Can anyone dispute a baby a child adults dealing with a pain issue , it a fact by trying to overcome the limitation. I live this life to as many post to ;) What is also true how we all adapt our way, If it strange how your baby does things than there just trying to adapt, there way. it is better to encourage trying than trying to protect :shock: ;)
Just thinking,
Tom

Tom :shock:
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

See a SSA lawyer, but then you might have gone to see one?? :roll:
But if your worried about medical expenses for evaluation , see the lawyer ;)
Your not alone, you like many parents here show so much Tenacity to try :shock: ;) :D The child with limitation does learn tenacity by , the gift come from the parent/or parents ;) :D
Every post ever try that we post draw these hope and trys to a degree of more pain more failure and depression is the :evil: :twisted:
Ever-one that finds a way to try does come with life long issue,
The wide verity of post and trys and doing always make me smile ;) :D
When these injuries lead you to need help from UBPN and SSD , Ubpn got it in to SSD, it counts.
Just thinking :roll:
Tom

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed May 28, 2014 12:45 am.