BPI advice surgery in 2 weeks

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
texas799
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: injury 12/26/13 from an auto rollover accident.

BPI advice surgery in 2 weeks

Post by texas799 »

Hi, I recently was involved in a vehicle rollover accident (12/26/13). It was pretty bad, but thank God Im alive. I was diagnosed with a traumatic brachial plexus injury to my left arm. Since the accident I have not been able to move my fingers or raise my arm higher than my chest. I can flex the wrist and elbow, and I can swing my arm back and forth. I have no feeling on the left side of my left arm including pinky, ring and middle finger. The index and thumb always feel numb and tingling. Also I have burning pulses on the hand and fingers every so often. Also I seem to have Horner's syndrome since my left eyelid droops common with an avulsion. I visited a clinic here in Texas, Houston. Since it looks like I have plateaued surgery is my next step. They are going to first remove scar tissue, then if need be do a nerve graft transfer from the sural nerve. Surgery will be on 4/11/14. What can I expect? Im kind of scared at the fact it may take several hours. Any advice? I would love to hear any stories from adult bpi sufferers. Please pray for me. Keep strong, God bless.
alheim
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle Accident; October 2013.

Tears & stretching in BP of left arm. Significant loss of movement at elbow & wrist, and no deltoids. Looking forward to improvement!

Re: BPI advice surgery in 2 weeks

Post by alheim »

What do they plan to reinnervate with a graft/transfer?

I wouldn't worry about the length of the surgery. It may take several hours but many other common surgeries also take a long time. You want them to be careful and take their time anyway. You'll be asleep, so it'll be all the same to you once you awake, be it one hour or five!

Wishing you the best.
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Re: BPI advice surgery in 2 weeks

Post by Dan »

Hi,

I sent you a PM. Let me know if you didn't receive it.

Dan