Search found 10 matches

by gunther
Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:01 pm
Forum: Newly Injured TBPI
Topic: shoulder fusion
Replies: 36
Views: 3364

Re: shoulder fusion

<t>Aurelia- It was on the list of options but one they didn't really consider. But prior to anything else they at one time figured that a prosthesis would give a person more functionality than a flail arm. With me, at that time, a 16 year old female, we figured many of the tendon transfer options we...
by gunther
Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:47 pm

fusion since 83
by gunther
Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:01 am

and yes, they did consider amputation back then for this type of injury.
by gunther
Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:00 am

PS...I have had my fusion since 1987, so i too have been dealing with this injury for a long time (1996). Robert Leffert MD at Mass General, one of the founding fathers of shoulder fusions was my surgeon, so i am biased.
by gunther
Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:55 am

<t>Kathleen- did not mean to offend! of course each injury is different. I too have total function of everything distal to my elbow. But without the fusion there was no platform for what little biceps and brachialis function i had to bend my arm. now i can. this is just my opinion as are all the com...
by gunther
Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:23 am

NICOLE: I was 16 when I had my fusion, I am now 37. It Does not impact my breasts in any way nor does it cause me any pain. But then again I did not have any type of tendon transfer or pectoral surgeries prior.
by gunther
Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:19 am

I must disagree with buddy fan... a wasted arm looks bad on anyone! with a fusion or not the arm will atrophy without nervous supply. and a fusion gives good shoulder support.
by gunther
Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:16 am

<t>To Whom it May Concern: <br/> DO NOT HESITATE to get a shoulder fusion. would you rather get an amputation or have constant subluxation or dislocation? As far as pain issues go, the nerve pain will always be there but the pain of having gravity pull on the extremity and the sublux's etc. I had a ...
by gunther
Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:21 pm
Topic: Latissimus Dorsi transfer to Bicep
Replies: 8
Views: 3666

Re: Latissimus Dorsi transfer to Bicep

<t>Robert Leffert, MD at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA is one of the guru's of TBPI, I would recommend him highly as he treated me in 1983 with a shoulder fusion. During that time, we did consider lat dorsi/pect major tendon transfers etc. I don't know if he still practices but I'm sure...
by gunther
Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:16 pm
Topic: Shoulder Fusion.
Replies: 4
Views: 1136

Re: Shoulder Fusion.

Bigsel...I think you're rushing it. If your surgery was only 2 weeks ago?? After my fusion I was casted for about 3 months. It was back in 1983 so I can't remember exactly the length of time. and things may have changed in 20 years. Talk to your surgeon!!
-gunther