Search found 44 matches

by fortitudine
Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:13 pm
Forum: Newly Injured TBPI
Topic: EMG Question
Replies: 6
Views: 812

Re: EMG Question

<t>Our son's first, and second EMG's (7 weeks post accident, which was August 10, 2006) showed no response in c5.6 or7. Our NS here thought they were probably avulsed. <br/> <br/> Five or six weeks later we went to the Mayo Clinic. Their EMG's showed almost nothing, and major surgery was proposed fo...
by fortitudine
Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:04 pm
Topic: recent traumatic bpi - need help and advice
Replies: 31
Views: 4989

Re: recent traumatic bpi - need help and advice

<t>For what it's worth-it may give you some more hope - here is our son's miracle story.<br/> August 10 2006, age 18, crashed bicycle at 70 km/hr. racing in Belgium. Woke from collarbone surgery with paralysed arm, some use of fingers. We were told this is normal, he'd recover fully in 4 months or s...
by fortitudine
Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:47 pm
Topic: recent traumatic bpi - need help and advice
Replies: 31
Views: 4989

Re: recent traumatic bpi - need help and advice

<t>Hi trimommy,<br/> <br/> I'm so sorry you have suffered such an injury, especially when you have three little kids to care for. You have come to the right place for support and up to date information. EllenB, Christopher and all the other regulars are very supportive, knowledgable and helpful. The...
by fortitudine
Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:08 pm
Topic: Choice between Mayo or UCSF?
Replies: 12
Views: 1820

Re: Choice between Mayo or UCSF?

<t>Hi GMcG<br/> We are in Canada. Our son had a TBPI a year ago. We were referred to a NS here, but his news was so scary that I got on the internet right away. By the time I found this forum, I had also found 3 surgeons, and I discovered from folks here that they were recognized as among the best i...
by fortitudine
Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:49 pm
Topic: Ortho Doc says nerve is just tweaked, what do y'all think?
Replies: 2
Views: 709

Re: Ortho Doc says nerve is just tweaked, what do y'all think?

<t>I'm with Chris. Our son broke his clavicle very badly in a high-speed cycling accident last year and had it surgically repaired. After surgery he couldn't move his arm at all and had weakness in his hand.<br/> <br/> Although the surgeon and his GP both said oh yeah, these injuries heal by themsel...
by fortitudine
Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:16 am
Topic: Need a recovery person experience of TBP
Replies: 4
Views: 812

Re: Need a recovery person experience of TBP

Check posts by EllenB. Her son had a very serious injury, 5 avulsions and surgery, and she has posted many times about his recovery.

There are many other helpful stories on here too. You just need to go back through some of the older posts.

Good luck.
by fortitudine
Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:27 pm
Topic: Scheduled gracilis transfer at Mayo
Replies: 10
Views: 1632

Re: Scheduled gracilis transfer at Mayo

<t>I'm assuming you'll be there for about 6 or seven days...If your 8-year-old is driving you crazy and Dustin has a day's worth of DVD's to watch, you could take the little guy to Mall of America for a couple of hours of rides and junk food. But it is a one hour and 20 minute drive each way.<br/> <...
by fortitudine
Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:05 pm
Topic: just got done with surgery
Replies: 5
Views: 877

Re: just got done with surgery

Wishing you great good luck and fast healing.
by fortitudine
Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:06 pm
Topic: Back from Mayo - good news
Replies: 2
Views: 628

Back from Mayo - good news

<t>Hi,<br/> <br/> We went to the Mayo with Eric last week expecting he'd have surgery- nerve transfer to deltoid, as all the other nerves/muscles appear to be strengthening. But, miracle of miracles, the axillary nerve seems to be waking up after almost 8 months. The EMG's indicated lots of "nascent...
by fortitudine
Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:59 pm
Topic: Bad news because of good news
Replies: 4
Views: 886

Re: Bad news because of good news

Hey wazza,
Maybe you can help me. I'm taking MS-Contin, which is morphine sulphate slow release. I can't seem to get pain relief unless I take at least 75 mg per day, but then I get all dopey and sleepy, which I hate. Do you know if OxyContin is better, has less side effects, etc?