Search found 346 matches

by Mica
Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:59 am
Forum: Parents of OBPI Children
Topic: Unfortunately, new to site:0(
Replies: 2
Views: 1038

Re: Unfortunately, new to site:0(

Hi Teri, I'm so sorry to hear about what has happened to your family! You've come to the right place for support. Try posting your message to the traumatic injury (TBPI) message board. There are many there who have sustained their BPIs through surgery, and might be able to offer you more information...
by Mica
Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:22 pm
Topic: Trapezius surgeries
Replies: 13
Views: 3476

Re: Trapezius surgeries

TIffany, Our daughter had the upper trap transfer, so it is the only trapezius surgery I personally have experience with. However, if you'd still like to talk regarding our experiences with Dr. Kozin, or just what it's like to go through a surgery with your child, I would be more than happy to chat ...
by Mica
Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:32 am

Tiffany, I just read your post that your daughter will be having a LOWER trap transfer, rather than an upper trap transfer. I wanted to set your mind at ease: the lower trap transfer is a much, much less painful procedure!!! The recovery is more intuitive and quicker than the upper trap transfer! YA...
by Mica
Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:12 pm

No problem at all. OBPI parents really have to stick together! Aria's procedure was an upper trap/levator scap transfer. We were told going in that she would not lose function. That is probably true in the long run, but not in the short run. Coming out of bracing (which your daughter will wear after...
by Mica
Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:00 am

Aria had the surgery last December, when she was 3.5. Dr. Kozin did the surgery. The procedure was extraordinarily painful for Aria - who has a high pain threshold. Please be prepared for that going in, and make sure there is a plan in place in case the morphine does not control your daughter's pain...
by Mica
Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:04 am

It actually made the winging worse (in our daughter's case) since the upper fibers of the trapezius are moved from the top of the scapula to the humerus.

This is a very, very, very difficult surgery.
by Mica
Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:06 pm
Topic: Great Therapy Ideas for kids
Replies: 1
Views: 763

Re: Great Therapy Ideas for kids

This is a great link!!!!! Thank you for sharing it! :)
by Mica
Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:34 pm
Forum: Adult and Young Adult OBPI
Topic: Frustrated by trying to measure...
Replies: 3
Views: 1606

Re: Frustrated by trying to measure...

Traci, Use a chalk line! :) Just tape or thumbtack the metal end at point "A", then you only need to hold it at point "B" with one hand and snap it with the other. You can either paint following the chalk lines, or use them as a guide to place painter's tape (or even sketch along...
by Mica
Sun May 30, 2010 4:04 pm
Forum: Adult and Young Adult OBPI
Topic: Botox anyone?
Replies: 2
Views: 1328

Re: Botox anyone?

Our daughter has had really good results from Botox. I'm so glad it's working for you! Congratulations!!! :D
by Mica
Tue May 25, 2010 1:37 pm
Topic: 3.5 months post primary
Replies: 9
Views: 3122

Re: 3.5 months post primary

The waiting after primary is so terribly hard. I'm sorry you're going through it. When Aria is 50 years old, I will still remember exactly how that felt. It's hard to believe this - but things really do get better. Just hold onto that thought. At 3.5 months post primary, Aria still had nothing. Arou...