My eight year old knows how to stand up for himself !!!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
brandonsmom

My eight year old knows how to stand up for himself !!!

Post by brandonsmom »

Over the weekend, while we were moving my son (ROBPI) was helping daddy and caught his finger under the 36 inch tv. Mom had the pleasure of taking him to the emergency room. We went into triage and the nurse, did everything and then grabbed his right arm to take his blood pressure. Very politely but very firmly, he said," You cannot take my blood pressure in that arm because I have a Brachial Plexus injury in my right arm" The nurse stepped back and said"wow Brandon that is awesome that you know that." do you know how you got that injury..."well" he said, "when I Was born the doctor pulled too hard and tore the nerves in my arm, I know that because that is what my mommy told me, not because I remember, I was little back then." Of course, I sat there and was holding back tears...good news is the finger was not broken but he gave that nurse a quick lesson in BPI...she looked at me and said that is a good thing for him to know, and just stated that I know that it is and that is why he knows it. She asked him that if she had to draw blood what arm could she use and he said, "not my right" I Was so proud !!! Then on Tuesday I had to take him to the doctor for a rash and he did the same thing.

It is so important for our kids to know about their injuries and the do's and don'ts !!! It makes is easier for me to know that in an "NON-EMERGENCY" he has the sense to stick up for himself. Maybe all the preaching I have been doing helped.

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!
GAYLE
m&mmom

Re: My eight year old knows how to stand up for himself !!!

Post by m&mmom »

That's great that he knows to speak up about that!
AlannahD
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 7-year-old granddaughter, LOBPI

Post by AlannahD »

I'm impressed how composed Brandon was with expressing this to the nurse! Yea Brandon!
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

YAYYYY, Brandon!!!!....That's My Boy!! I can't wait to Bear Hug Him at Camp in Sept...

Happiness and JOY to all the family in your new home.

HUGS all around, :) :)
Carolyn J
UBPN Gramma/LOBPI
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Camille,
Quite frankly I was impressed how composed he was, but he was sooooo serious. It just goes to prove that they listen to everything that you say even though it doesn't look like it at the time.

GAYLE
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Gayle
You really have prepared him. It is important that we have answers for people, it makes us more comfortable and self assured during and emergency.

I don't remember when I knew what happened to me but I know that I told the teachers in 1st Grade the whole story.
It seems I always knew the doctors tore my nerves and how lucky I was to be able to move at all.
My family doctor always told me to speak up and that no one could give me a blood tests or take bp on my right arm.
It seems as if he tested me every time I saw him. He helped prepare me and told me to speak up if I had to see a nurse or doctor.
I think knowledge is power and helps with our self confidence in the long run.

You should be very proud of Brandon and yourself for doing such a good job of preparing him for the world.

Kath adult/robpi
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

Way to go Brandon. But also, what a great reflection on the parenting skills that you have shown him as well. Way to go Gayle!

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 4 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Hi Jennifer,
HOW ARE YOU Feeling? GAYLE
momofnickelman

Post by momofnickelman »

That is so great! I am trying to make my son strong and knowledgeable! Way to go Mom! Good job!