Athletic Arm Sling

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Re: Athletic Arm Sling

Post by MW »

Hi Dan,

I got the sling yesterday and it's outstanding. Since I'm very skinny I have to cinch the straps a lot, but once I get the right fit, it stays there. It's worlds better than my old setup, which was a stretchy polyester sling with a cloth swathe that I safety-pinned everywhere to hold it straight.

It's great to be able to run without having to use my good hand to hold the sling up, nor having my gait messed up since my arm was bouncing everywhere. Most importantly my mind can focus on improving my performance, not if my arm is secure. I'm planning on making it out to some local road races as time allows, so if I get pics I'll send them your way.
Thanks a lot,
Mike
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Well my sling just keeps plugging along! Skied Tahoe over Christmas, hiked Sedona on New Years, and ran around Lake Hollywood this morning! Life wouldn't be the same without it. Besides getting the right surgery, it's one of the best things that has come along to give me back my personal freedom since my injury.

Thanks Dan!

MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Post by MW »

This is me finishing my 1st post-injury 10K on Thanksgiving last year. I put some reflective stuff on the front and back for running at night. Instead of pinning the number on my arm, I use a race belt that holds the number around my waist (apparently it got flipped around by the end of the race).

I agree with Christopher - the sling has really helped me recover both physically and mentally.
Attachments
run.jpg
run.jpg (23.23 KiB) Viewed 27284 times
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Hi All

Just dropping a line to wish you all the best for this new Year and thank to Dan for the greate tool that help us to be able to keep playing around!

Saludos
Fernando
Attachments
P5170020.JPG
P5170020.JPG (49.62 KiB) Viewed 27257 times
100_5647.jpg
100_5647.jpg (37.14 KiB) Viewed 27259 times
mdc

Post by mdc »

I have been looking for a good arm sling that will allow me to be active again. I am interested in purchasing one. What company sells the athletic sling that has been discussed on this site? I would appreciate any info. that I can get.
mdc

Post by mdc »

In 1996 I was 18 & was in a car accident that left my right arm paralyzed. Prior to the accident I was extremely active. I would love to be able to run again. I have been looking for what seems an eternity for a sling that would allow me to become more active. I have seen the pictures & hope that it will work for me. Brachial plexus injuries are not that common & It is comforting to know that I am not all alone.
MW

Post by MW »

Hi MDC,

The 1st post in this thread has Dan's contact info; he coordinates making these with a company he works with. It's a great product. Good luck!
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

Hi MCD,

Sent you a private PM, let me know how I can help,

Dan
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Thanks again for the great sling Dan!!!!
Skiing up in Tahoe, hard and fast!!!

Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

Chris,

Great picture, so glad you are out livin life, so much better than the alternative. I am heading to Reno next month for three or four days of skiing, can't wait. I will make sure to post a few pics. Might be lots of me teaching my little ones how to ski, but I am sure I will get a few runs by myself:)

Dan