Athletic Arm Sling

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
tms718
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C5, 6, 7 T1 avulsed since October 2, 2009.

Re: Athletic Arm Sling

Post by tms718 »

Yea, it's going to be a big help. Makes everything so much easier not having to worry about constantly keeping your arm in check.
craigglass
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bicycle crash with car on November 20 2011. Have had nerve transfer surgery on March 8 and 19 2012 and am now waiting for movement to appear in my arm.

Post by craigglass »

Hi
I had a major bicycle accident and was lucky to survive. However I did end up with a brachial plexus injury that has left me with a paralysed left arm. That was 11 months ago. I had 3 nerve transfers in 13 hours of surgery and now it is the task of rehab. I already have a little bend bit of bicep strength but it is to be a long journey back. After the surgery i ordered a sling from Dan and it has been a wonderful. I am gradually building up the kilometres and getting used to the new gait. I have had a few hip and achillies injuries as a result of the gait, but they are minor concerns in the scheme of things. In November I am running the 10 km leg of the Noosa Triathlon. Australia's biggest triathlon and a fantastic event.

Dan's effort in getting me a great sling is one thing, but I will be forever grateful for his words of encouragement when I and my wife were at the lowest point after the accident. I will never forget reading his email whilst we were driving in the car. It moved my wife to tears and gave us both great hope for the future. Thanks Dan.

I was training for my second Ironman event when the accident happened and one day i will do that second Ironman. I am back swimming one arm, running and riding the bike in the garage. The next step is to ride on the road. That will be a huge psychological barrier to overcome for both me and my wife.

Thanks again Dan and those new to the injury get out there and try to be active.

I have attached a photo and link to a video of my one arm swimming technique. my swimming technique can be found at:

http://youtu.be/66-NxW9fqFY
Attachments
-1.jpg
-1.jpg (4.64 KiB) Viewed 15102 times
RightyNoMore
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 2010 Right Arm Brachial Plexus Injury From Motorcycle VS Transport Truck

Post by RightyNoMore »

Dan,

Email sent sir :)
cduggan

Post by cduggan »

I want to write for 2 reasons: first, a line of encouragement to any reader who may be the parent of child with brachial plexus injury--or you may be the person yourself--and you’re reading about this sling. Consider buying it. I don’t think you’ll be sorry.

I am a 43 year old woman who suffered my injury during the birthing process. I’ve never known what it is like to have two arms, exercise or play sports. Over the years, I occasionally would wish I could run or rein my horses with two hands. I tried to wear an old shoulder sling that we had around the house, and secretly go down a dirt road to find a place to run where no one would ever see my arm flailing about. But it hurt my neck and back and jarred my shoulder. In the end, I’d take a deep breath and think: “That was that. Others have it far worse. There’s no use crying over spilled milk.”

This past fall, on a complete whim one afternoon, I ran across this site and read about people with my injury who were . . . running?! I was a bit skeptical but I asked for a sling for Christmas (2012) and have been running!! I LOVE IT! For the first time in my life, I can pump my arms (mostly ;) ) when running and not worry about injuring my arm, elbow or wrist. It’s only been 5 weeks, but there’s a place inside of me that is alive now that wasn’t before. I’m experiencing the joy of exercise and benefits of running for the first time in 43 years! I don’t think of myself as handicapped, so a few times I’ve caught myself thinking, “why, oh why didn’t I take up running before now?” and then I remember, “The sling. I could never do this before I had the sling.”

Which brings me to my second reason for writing, which is a sincere “thank you” to Dan for pushing forward to design it and let others know about it, and caring enough to follow up with me. To date, Dan is the first and only person with a brachial plexus injury I’ve ever known, emailed or spoken with. So to Dan I say “You are special person. Thank you for what you’re doing, and I WILL let you know when I run my first 5K!”
:D
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

Post by bill de brooklyn »

Dan,
I want another sling. I sent an e mail a few days ago.

Bill
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

Hi Bill, just checked my Spam folder and there it was. I'll get it going for you.
Dan
bill de brooklyn wrote:Dan,
I want another sling. I sent an e mail a few days ago.

Bill
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1

Post by Dan »

Hi cduggan,

You are welcome, glad I could help. So happy for you and your being able to be an athlete for the first time after all these years. Looks like you have a lot of catching up to do:) Can't wait to hear how that first 5k goes, you will be doing 10k's in no time.

Dan
Dan
Evulsed C5-T1

Post by Dan »

I have received some really cool pictures of people doing amazing things with the sling, but I have to say, this one takes the prize for the coolest picture yet. So how is that for testing out the limits of what the sling can do, withstanding 140 mph winds:) By the way, this is Kevin Burkart and just set a world record for one arm jumps in one day, doing 151. Here is a link to his web site raising money in honor of his Dad's battle with Parkinson's. http://www.perfectjumps.com
Attachments
Kevin_Burkart_LE-NPFM_web_image11.jpg
Kevin_Burkart_LE-NPFM_web_image11.jpg (178.16 KiB) Viewed 14576 times
Dan
Evulsed C5-T1

Post by Dan »

Another great picture, this is Ryan shooting a shotgun one handed. Love all the things people do when they desire to continue doing the things they love to do.
Attachments
Ryan Shotgun.jpg
Ryan Shotgun.jpg (157.53 KiB) Viewed 14579 times
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

Just created the sling page on our website. It's about time that we recognize how important this sling is to get people active and mobile. It is still being modified with Dan's direction, so if you would like to see something specific, let him know and we'll work on it!

Check it out:

http://ubpn.org/resources/athletic-arm-sling