Brachial plexus surgery

Welcome Newbies! Introduce yourselves!
Itsryleigh336
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I'm Ryleigh. I'm 13. And I've had obpi my whole life. I didn't start caring about it until now. And now I'm just so insecure about myself it's unreal.

Brachial plexus surgery

Post by Itsryleigh336 »

Hello, I'm Ryleigh. And I have OBPI. I'm a sophomore and highschool, and it never really bothered me having OBPI at all until the beginning of last year. I started wearing long sleeve shirts and hoodies with pockets so I could hide my injury. I haven't worn short sleeve shirts in a year. And I'm very insecure about my arms being two different lengths, anyway, recently i was looking to see if there was a way i could recover, and I saw that Mayo Clinic in Flordia was really good and have had some really great success stories, so I researched them and everything.. I've been researching non stop for like 3 weeks. But they never answered a question that I was specifically looking for. Does anybody know if there's a weight limit for brachial plexus injuries? I'm a little bit over weight and I just don't want to travel 1,000 miles to Florida just so they can tell me I have to lose weight before proceeding. If anyone can let me know. That would really be a great pleasure.
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Brachial plexus surgery

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Birth erbs , I was 13 back in the caveman days :shock:
Great question about weight limit ;)
I started working out with Very light weight and use a home weight set I got for Christmas. Over the years I learn to adapt by exercising Both arms and using my erbs arm as I could to gain strength and usage some. The fact is you gain more from reps with lighter weight than heavy weight.
The best way to get over your look is to get involve in activity with other kids who have the same interest, and if you can adapt your limitation to the interesting the less you will be :|
I hate tuck in dress shirts, pull over are best.
I end up loading truck at UPS nights and drove a semi with birth erbs :shock: , Never had help from a doctor for my erbs.
Many do post about how they learn to adapt and the doctors help, I guess when others see how you try to adapt the less they look at your arm ;) :D
It is better to focus on trying , than how you look in a mirror in life ;)
Just thinking :roll:
Tom
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Brachial plexus surgery

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I thought, I would add this to my last post,
I was 12 lb. when I was born, I have been big all my life and the fact is weight has nothing to do with your limitation, Finding your way to exercise your limitation is a good way to lose weight. So is finding a sport you can adapt to what your friends do ;)
I know growing up with limitation is Very hard to find a way to adapt, There is many thing I could never adapt to , Sad we all have this overtime, but the truth is you Never fail by trying. You have come far trying, If something you try to adapt to does not work out, focus on the next thing to try and remembering the thing you can do will help you try the next thing to adapt.
I hope these posts help, :roll:
Tom