SENSORY INTERGRATION DYSFUNCTION?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
BIGJAVSMA

Re: SENSORY INTERGRATION DYSFUNCTION?

Post by BIGJAVSMA »

Javier has recently started to hate being washed. He used to love it. I still use the really soft washcloths for babies on him. I have noticed that the more feeling he gains in his injured arm, the more he hates to be touched. Should I just continue to rub and tap him ( he still likes it)? Should I try a rougher washcloth? Any other suggestions?

Marlyn
J'S MOM

Post by J'S MOM »

Who is the specislist for SID? Where & who is the best to diginose this now or other ot is saying that j has no or mild SID. I got the book "The Out Of synic Child" plan to read soon. Very confused!
claudia

Post by claudia »

Marlyn:
YES!! Keep touching and rubbing all different fabrics on his arm (and all over). You can make puppets out of them or a fabric cube. Ask your ot (when you get one-I know you just moved) to give you a surgical brush so you can "brush" him. Keep stimulating his arm, it will do wonders. Oh and temperature might be the issue with the bath. Juliana doesn't feel the temperature of the water correctly. If it is hot, it feels cold and when it is cold it is "weird" (a juliana quote) or sometimes it feels like it is burning.

As for who tests for SID, our ot was trained and did the testing. You can ask a neuropsych, if you are going for that testing, if he/she does SID testing. Or, ask your ot to put you in touch with someone who is SID trained.

good luck, and when you read the book, it will help a lot.

claudia
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Bumping to the top for another post.....hope this all helps. I found it very interesting, although I did not start the post, everything that was said was so true for my son....good luck again !GAYLE
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Hello All,
Please keep this Topic bumped up because it anwsers sooo many questions about Behavior & SID & BPI. I am still re-reading and learning new things("AHA/Lite Bulb Momments") every time I re-read this Topic....I love you all...
Hugs all around,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Okay, I think we can do that.....Gayle
Mom2Michael

Post by Mom2Michael »

I wanted just wanted to suggest these 2 books: http://www.out-of-sync-child.com/

My oldest son has SID (he is my preemie) and these books are great.

It has been suggested to me that the SI may be the result of his traumatic entrance to the world (7 weeks early 3.5 lbs) and subsequent time in the NICU (7 weeks, on vent, PDA, BPD, etc - all the things that go along with being a preemie), etc. So, it would make sense that it could easily be connected with BPIs also.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can someone help? What are the initial signs of SI? Are they present from the beginning, or can they start at any stage of life?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Initial signs for us was "freaking out" over what I would consider silly things (all environmental) and not being flexible at all concerning those things (major power plays). It was VERY difficult to deal with until I understood what it was. I'm sure that the answers you get will be different for individual children because this manifests in so many different ways.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't really understand what you are saying, could you give me example?