Help!! Daughter having trouble washing her hair!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
sydsmom

Re: Help!! Daughter having trouble washing her hair!

Post by sydsmom »

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I'm going to try a hand held showerhead. It's so hard because she wants to be independent especially because of her age, she doesn't want me helping her in the shower, but everytime I let her try to do it herself, it looks really bad. It's funny, when I was young my mom used to fight with me all the time about my hair not being clean and not brushing it right and it always looking bad and I didn't even have a BPI!!! She finally had enough one day and took me and got it all cut off!! I know everytime I complain about this to her, she just LOVES that I'm going through it. Paybacks are heck, huh?? :)
sydsmom

Post by sydsmom »

Thanks Marieke,
I would really like some tips on how she can do her own ponytail. That would be great!!! Thanks!
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

How much hand/finger function does she have?

Can she put her BPI arm up onto her head with help from her other arm?
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com