Rotation after Mod Quad Surgery

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Kimberlee

Rotation after Mod Quad Surgery

Post by Kimberlee »

My son Joseph had Mod Quad Surgery on August 18th, 2004. He is only able to reach above his head but has not been able to rotate his hand to the have supination. What should I do? Was Mod Quad suppose to correct this? Does he need another surgery for that?
Mother in Need! Please Help!!!!
claudia

Re: Rotation after Mod Quad Surgery

Post by claudia »

Supination is a tough thing for most bpi's to get. Some kids will get it from the mq, many will not.

Supination actually starts in the biceps, so if Joseph has strong biceps you are on your way. After the biceps start supination, the supinator muscles kick in for the rest of the motion.

Keep working those biceps, and keep doing a good, well supported stretch of the forearm. Many kids would have more supination if they were looser there. Because the supination is weaker than the pronation, you really need to stretch the supinators well.

Keep doing functional exercises that encourage supination. And, the hardest of all, be patient.

good luck,
claudia
tylergsmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Hi! I am Laura, the mom of Tyler, who has a ROBPI. I've been a member of this site since 1998 and owe a great deal to the wonderful people in the UBPN community who have helped us along the way get what we needed to get done for Tyler. Tyler is now 14 years old and in the 9th grade. He's a super bright kid and loves his video games. Tyler had the mod quad surgery with Dr. Shenaq shortly before he passed. That was his first and only surgery. Now that he is older he is requesting additional surgery. He'd like to be able to supinate. Our goal is for Summer 2013.

Post by tylergsmom »

Thanks for that info. I was wondering the same thing. My son had the MQ on June 30th and still cannot supinate either. I just figured that he would need another surgery sometime down the road. Glad to know what we can work on now. Thanks!

Laura
Laura LeNoir, Mom of Tyler, Age 14, ROBPI
dmom

Post by dmom »

Kimberlee:

Don't panic! I think this is pretty typical, from our experience and from the moms I've talked to whose kids have had the mod quad.

My son had the mod quad in 2002 and primarily regained external rotation and abduction (over the head - is that adduction/abduction? - whatever!). He did not get any supination function from mod quad. He did begin to get that movement after his most recent surgery, which was the caps/acromio.

I just wanted to come on and let you know that mod quad, from my understanding, doesn't generally give the kids supination.

But please don't worry about the next surgery, if one is even needed (which it might not be!). I would say just concentrate right now on what movement the mod quad has helped and let nature take its course as your son grows and does therapy. Also, talk to your doctor and see what he says. I hope things go well for your son!

Take care,
Janet
Angela Butterfly

Post by Angela Butterfly »

Hi......now that I don't have daily access to a computer, if I pop in, I usually only read for a couple of minutes, and don't respond.

I have a question tho on the forearm rotation matter, for my Jill, born severe LOBPI in 1984.

In Chicago, August 2003, Dr Nath saw Jill and said she needed the Mod Quad. She is busy with college and is not considering it for now.

My Question: If she has the mod quad is it possible her forearm (now frozen in neutral) might go into a less functioning position?

Jill was different than most, in that she was always supinated to at least 8 years of age......I did work and work and work with her on exercises to get her FINALLY, past palm up, and she froze in neutral. She can open and close her hand, and has a WEAK functional grasp

She can already get her hand up to her forehead. Wouldn't want to do a Mod Quad, and lose something we worked so so hard to gain.