laptop/computer for school???? which one???

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
admin
Site Admin

Re: laptop/computer for school???? which one???

Post by admin »

I have both a laptop and a desktop. I actually like the laptop better as the keys are closer together and easier to reach. I have a Dell. I tried the voice activated software vut it was more trouble than it was worth. I can rest my forearm easier and type with the laptop. I can also sit on the bed and put it on my lap and play--or watch DVD's on it.
Typing is difficult-with the Erb's arm wearing out after a minute or two--I've trained on computer systems for healthcare for almost 12 years and am having a hard time with the amount of typing required. I don't think it is possible to build strength in the Erb's arm. I have tried with typing and piano and have never noticed an improvement.Pat
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Louise
I can relate to both you and Elizabeth. I was forced to write with obpi hand. In the good old days every child had to be right handed. I use to have such cramps in my hand by the time I came home I just could not face Homework. My Mom often wrote things for me but my teachers would get upset and tell her she was making me lazy... hmmm glad times have changed... they knew I had a problem and just insisted I practice.

I have a Dell desktop and I use a microsoft split key board because of the position of my hand. It is pronated and I can rest the heel of my hand when typing.

I have a Dell laptop and it has the 17" screen I don't use the touch pad on the laptop. On both computers I have the tracker ball mouse. I find I can use it with my robpi hand and I save the wear and tear on my shoulder. Besides I have a problem with the touch pad because my hands shake especially after I rest them while I am typing.

I love the dell laptop I like the touch of the keys. I was forced to learn how to touch type and on a manual typewriter. Typing is so much easier for me plus after years of typing I can type as fast as I think ( thus the type o's and often I leave out words..LOL.)

Please what ever you do make sure that Elizabeth learns to touch type using the correct fingers on the proper keys. It will serve her very well during all the years of her education. My ring and pinkie are very weak and I can use them to type.
Is that enough for you Louise... ???

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
smith727

Post by smith727 »

Hi, I recommend that you get her this laptop:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopp ... catLevel=2

It is an HP zd8000 I would get her an Intel Centrino processor at least 3.0 gigahertz, at least an 80 gigabyte hard drive, 512 megabytes of random access memory, a cd/ dvd rw combo drive. And for software she needs Microsoft windows XP Professional, and Microsoft Office 2003. Also, get her a product called Dragon Naturally Speaking, so that she can dictate her homework, and the computer will type it for her.
Also tell them thatyou want audio input capabilities and wifi capability.
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

I became very frustrated with Dragon. Vocational rehab purchased it for me and I spent more time correcting mistakes than dictaing. I spent nuerous hours teaching the software to recognise my voice--but it was still very cumbersome. I understand there may be updates and better software,though. that was 2 years ago.
Pat
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree about the laptop keys being closer together and easier to reach (mostly with one hand, I use a little of my left bpi hand pronated). I don't know about proper touch typing. My concern is to avoid stressing out my right hand.

I tried a lot of keyboards and settled on the one with the lightest touch (scissor switch keys). This was the MacAlly IceKey which has similar spacing to a Apple Powerbook but even lighter touch. I have one on my PC at work and at home. Anyone might be able to try one at CompUSA. They are also sold online (Amazon) and despite the MacAlly brand the same product works for Mac and PC (PCAlly is the same company.)

Son_of_Atenhouse

Post by Son_of_Atenhouse »

Don't you think that is going overboard? It's a laptop for school, not gaming. Anyway, my parents got me a Dell Inspiron 8600 for Christmas for schoolwork. It's a wonderful computer. The keys on the keyboard are spaced apart enough so that I dont hit two keys at once. That was my main problem with laptops. It's great for writing English papers and long assignments.
smith727

Post by smith727 »

Overboard?? No, I don't think so. The reason the system would be appropriate for gaming is because it is well built and fast. These are also the qualities that will make it last and be dependable.
Just because it is built for speed doesn't mean you have to run it hard. How much longer do you think a NASCAR race car would last if they never took it past 55 MPH??? :-)
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Heyyyyy Josh,Son of Atenhouse,It's great hearing from you! Your laptop sounds great. Scott & I are getting a new Dell so I'll check the 8600 one out. I've noticed alot of teens are posting lately too so I hope you will continue to share your opinions and wisdom too
Carolyn J
Can't wait till Camp in September!!
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Carolyn
I have the Dell 8600 and I love it. On my desktop I use a split keyboard and on this one the keyboard is so comfortable. I like the size of the keys and the spacing. I was forced to learn to touch type so I hate it when the keyboards have the keys squeezed to tight because I am not comfortable.

I also like the large screen I can work on more than one thing at a time.

Josh to bad we can't get Zelda on the computer.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi