rotational osteotomy

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
SRube

rotational osteotomy

Post by SRube »

My son was born in '88 and and diagnosed with Erb's of the left arm. After immediatly seeing a Ped Neuro. at NY hosp., Manhatten, we were told he would have 90-95% return funtion. We did PT ourselves for many years and had him examinated by the same Neuro and other Ped. Ortho. Surg. I have posted here when the site was new and have followed many of your stories and pushed to have stories on Good Morning America and 20/20, of which I am a cameraperson, about this subject.
Last year we saw a Dr. Andrew Price, NYC, Ped. Ortho. Surg. who recommended rotational osteotomy of the humerous.
Does anyone know of someone who has had this and what the rehab is and results after surgery.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: rotational osteotomy

Post by Kath »

Hi
I think you may have more people answering this post on General Board because the parents of injured children have more experience with surgery.

I only know of one adult who has had this surgery. I hope she reads this thread and responds.

I am glad to hear that you have been pushing for GMA and 20/20 to do a story on this injury. Dr. Phil just had a segment on this birth injury last Monday.

20/20 did a segment on video in the delivery room also.

Perhaps the media will do some more after the dr.Phil show and cover the adults who were birth injured and managed without good medical support and for the tbpi who also need better medical information to help with their treatment and possible recovery.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
blakesmom

Post by blakesmom »

my son 7 and had this done in Oct. 04, you can email me at scotcrys95@cs.com for your questions.
blakesmom

Post by blakesmom »

I'm sorry, my son IS 7yrs old.
Dean-na

Post by Dean-na »

Hello! I am 33 & had a humeral osteotomy almost 1 year ago. I had an Ilizarov Fixator on my arm. If you ever need to email me about it please do. My email address is sapphire19712001@yahoo.com

Good Luck!
SKIerra9

Post by SKIerra9 »

I'm 17 and i had an osteotomy about 3 years ago, Dr. Waters from Boston Children's did it, if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at SKIerra9@yahoo.com.