I always thought I was the only one with a crooked arm

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
BarbaraHogan

I always thought I was the only one with a crooked arm

Post by BarbaraHogan »

I just found this site and I am amazed. I am 42 and only found out there was a name for my birth injury about 2 years ago. My mother said the injury happened because I was a big baby. I have limited movement of my left arm. I doesn't completely straighten out. I can bring my hand to my face, but not to the back of my head without help from my other arm. Most people ask me if I broke my arm. I never thought it happened to anyone else. The first time it stopped me was when I was in high school and tried out for a drill team - I didn't make it - I couldn't do the arm movements. I guess I just work around it. I do notice that I do some things differently. I guess that is why this site surprised me so much! The hair washing, arm twitching, numbness, akwardness, uneven shoulders, lack of strength in one side - it all was strange to hear it come from someone else. I exercise often, I am even YogaFit certified and taught aerobics for a couple of years - I stopped teaching because of problems with my arm but still go reguarly. I am only 2 1/2 hours from Houston, Tx and plan to see Dr. Nath. I live in southwest Louisiana and would love to hear from someone in this area.
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Re: I always thought I was the only one with a crooked arm

Post by Judy-T »

Welcome to the boards Barbara!I am 43 and robpi. I guess we could go canoeing.It was so nice when I learned that I was not alone. If you have any questions ask away.We are all in the same boat but just row on different sides.lol please go back and read past post. Judy
Barbara Hogan

Post by Barbara Hogan »

I don't know the terminology - can you give me a lesson - what is robpi and so on...
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Hi Barbara
Welcome to the message boards. I am glad you found us all. It is amazing when we find we are no longer alone and that so many of us have so much in common...
Even the way we compensate.

I am like you no hand to mouth, head and I cannot supinate.
The best thing for you to do it educate yourself and read all the information about the babies. After all we were injured baby's.
There is so much to learn... and so much we have learned from each other here on the message boards.

Judy and I are both right obpi that means our right arms are injured... we can't paddel together in a boat because we go in circles... LOL...
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello, You are not alone. I am 27 and too thought that I was the only one with this problem. I am a left OBPI...I think I said that right. It is so funny because you described me to a T while you were talking about yourself. I look forward to learning more about I will be facing as I get older. I just had to smile when I read your posting.

Nice to meet you.

Nicky
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Barbara:
I'll extend my welcome also. I have a ROBPI, that's a right obstetric brachial plexus injury. I have good hand function but limited use of my arm and shoulder. I found this site a few years ago. I finally met someone else with my injury at the UBPN 2003 Camp. Camp is a great place to meet others and discuss experiences. You should consider coming to the 2005 camp planned for next September.

John P.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Welcome Barbara!
I amm 66 and LOBPI,left side Brachial Plexus Injury, with little interventions(only a tendon transplant in my 20's but still no name for this).I really only learned about all this last April when I found UBPN, especially these message boards. Barbara I am still soaking every ounce of information like a sponge!! I have learned sooo much from ALL of the boards. I 2nd Kathleen's point about reading the "General message board and learninbg from parents. I am still going to the Glossary of terms that I printed out to help me, so that's very helpful too.
There is soo much relief to "vent" too about memories that will suddenly pop up when reading sooo I hope you continue to come to the boards and share wioth us. I hope to see you at Camp in September.
Hugs,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Mel4fitness

Post by Mel4fitness »

Hi Barbara,
Welcome! I'm Melanie, 33 with ROBPI (Right Obstetrical Brachial Plexus Injury). My disabilities are similar to yours. I have the bent elbow and my range of motion stinks. However, I'm on my way to see Dr. Nath this week, for surgery. Good luck to you when you visit him.
That is absolutely amazing you teach classes! I'm a certified personal trainer but never thought of teaching classes b/c I can't lift my right arm. I imagined all the students only lifting one arm up above their head b/c that's all I would use LOL!!

There is tons of literature on this site! Enjoy!
Melanie
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

I always thought I was the only one with this injury as well. I am 33 with lobpi. You have definately come to the right place. If you need someone to talk to please feel free to email me.
And Mel, good luck with Dr. Nath. He is great! What are you having done?
CyndiAnn

Post by CyndiAnn »

Hi Barbara!
I just discovered this Web Site today, & can't believe that there are so many others with the same OBPI concerns. I didn't even know that this condition had a name until 2 years ago!
I just turned 50. People who meet me think I have a broken arm. Most of the time (especially when I was in high school & college), I try to carry items in my right arm to cover up the way it looks.
When I was in High School, I also tried out for the Pom Rai Drill Team. I quit when I realized how stupid my arm looked when I couldn't straighten it. I also tried out for the Syncronized Swim Team, with the same results.
It's really a tribute to my family that I didn't know that I had a disability until then. They never treated me differently, & always encouraged me to try new things.
I think that it's wonderful how you've overcome your injury & became a aerobics instructor.
I really do not know anything about Dr. Nath, but hope you receive good results!