3d Cat Scan july 1

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
KDs Daddy

3d Cat Scan july 1

Post by KDs Daddy »

a little help with telling a 3 1/2 yr lobpi child that she is going to be put to sleep. And any help easing the scared Dads heart as they put my KDBUG to sleep.
admin
Site Admin

Re: 3d Cat Scan july 1

Post by admin »

some things that may help you -
Find out in advance how they will be putting her out -will it be IV, will it be oral, will it be nasal spray, will it be rectal. If it is IV, do they numb the area first with something like EMLA? (numbing cream) Also, know in advance that it is quite common to have a rage reaction when going to sleep and when waking up. It looks like your child is being traumatized to the hilt but it is just a chemical reaction to the drugs and usually they don't remember anything afterwards. I think it's important to know this in advance so you don't think something is going terribly wrong. It can be very scary for a parent to watch. Also - a CT scan does not last long at all, only a couple of minutes and you can stay in the room if you wish. They will give you a lead apron to put on.
AndreaJack

Post by AndreaJack »

KD's Daddy,
This page is great and will be very helpful for you to read.
Good luck! Andrea

http://www.injurednewborn.com/maia/catscan.html
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Adding to the guest post...when I was put to sleep (that doesn't seem like a great phrase, but I can't think of one better right now) for my wisdom teeth, when I woke up I was bawling crying. Nothing hurt, I wasn't scared, the doc just said that some people react that way. Again, just to let you know that your child might have a strange reaction, but is stil ok.
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

Talk with the the nurse/staff of the doctor that is to do the surgery. Sometimes they have an "orientation" for the child at the hospital. They take you from room to room and explain what will happen--kid friendly, of course. It might help ease your fears a little.

Peggy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My child is almost 3 and we just had a 3d CT scan done. My child was able to lay there very still for the test (the test is like 3 minutes long). We had a member of child life come in and she brought some toys. He layed there perfectly still and never had to be sedated. I would ask the technician if you can at least try to have her lay there. You can be right there with her. Good luck.
Heather B

Post by Heather B »

They were able to do my daughter's 3-D scan without sedation. She was only 2.5 at the time, but was still able to lay still for that long (which I was totally amazed...she doesn't sit still for anything).

They ended up doing the scan wrong & we'll have to have it re-done, but that wasn't her fault. I plan on asking them if we can try it w/out sedation first. I figure it's worth a shot!

Good luck!
Heather
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

Sorry...that's what I get for answering a post before having my coffee; I thought it was for surgery.
My daughter also had the 3-d CT scan without sedation, but is a little older.
Still, they might have some kind of orientation to help you out. And, as suggested, you could try it without sedation first and see how it goes.
Good luck!
Let us know how it all worked.

Peggy
KDs Daddy

Post by KDs Daddy »

THANK YOU TO YOU ALL!!!

Ya KD is 3 and she wont sit still even on the potty lol. But thanks I really hope she doesnt go to sleep. that would just scare the sh_t out of me. It makes me sick thinking about it. Thanks again for all the responses i feel a little more at ease.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

KD's Dad

I have a reaction to going to sleep... I wake up lauging hope little KD does the same. Maybe that's an OBPI thing.
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi