Did you have a birth plan for your elective c-section?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
solson

Did you have a birth plan for your elective c-section?

Post by solson »

Do you mind sharing?

Also, obviously if I never see another vacuum extractor again in my life I'll be happy. How do you, can you? ask your OB to not use one in surgery?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Did you have a birth plan for your elective c-section?

Post by admin »

are vacuums used sometimes during c-sections? I haven't heard anything about this.
dmom

Post by dmom »

By a birth plan, do you mean a blow-by-blow plan of how the doctor will execute the C-section? If that's what you mean, then no. I don't know how anyone could have a plan that specific - there are so many variables once the doctor is in there.

However, we did have a plan with my elective C-section as far as when to do it (37 weeks' gestation, so the baby wouldn't get too big), which I think was the most important factor.

I suppose you could say, "please, no vaccuum." But I don't imagine vaccuums and forceps are quite so common during C-sections as during vaginals. I say everything is up for discussion prior to the birth.

The only thing I wish I'd stipulated was to NOT give me fentanyl afterward. I am the type of person who'd rather bear massive pain than side effects from meds. They looked at me like I was nuts when I told them - about two hours after the C-section - to turn off my pain medication and just give me some oxycontin. But I am an oddball that way - most women want the narcotics!

Janet
Kristie

Post by Kristie »

Yes I did have one. I would be willing to share... please e-mail me.

And yes the vacuum can be used during a c/s if the incision is made to small or other complications. I didn't have it done but a friend did!

Blessings,
Kristie
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Janet,

Wow - I haven't even thought through dealing with a c-section. I'm not pregnant, but hope to be eventually.

What kind of side effects are there from the painkillers? I had a reaction to an IV antibiotic once and it made my hands/arms twitch and move and it freaked me out and was horrible. The nurse told me to just go to sleep, but how could I sleep when my arms where moving around on their own!

Thanks.

Lexi (mom to Jason, LOBPI, 11 months)
TNT1999

Post by TNT1999 »

Hi, Sara. I didn't know anything about the vacuum (I never had one used with my first delivery either though so I never even thought about it). I did ask extensive questions and discussed making sure that the incision would be large enough b/c I had heard of the (rare) possibility of a BPI during a c-s if the incision wasn't large enough. To answer your question, I did have a birth plan, but it wasn't about the specifics of the actual operative procedure. I discussed it w/my OB and gave him a copy and my husband a copy. I'd be happy to share it w/you if you'd like (just e-mail me).

My biggest concern was that I did not want to go into labor before the scheduled c-s date. The OB also did not want me to and let me know that BPIs can occur w/c-s if the baby has already started to descend (whatever...risk mgmnt IMO!). My main reason for not wanting to go into labor before the scheduled date though was b/c the OB I had selected was really the ONLY dr. who I really really trusted. As I'm sure you can relate, it's so hard to trust drs again after having an OBPI, esp. OBs. In order to help prevent going into labor, we scheduled the c-s for 38 weeks. I also had an amnio two days prior. They wanted to make sure the lungs were developed b/c they told me that larger babies and / or babies of moms w/GD (which I didn't have, but my #s weren't great either) tend to develop the lungs slower. I was concerned about the risks of having an amnio, but they told me that the most likely risk was rupturing the water and going into labor and in my case it was only 2 days before I was scheduled anyway so it wasn't a big risk. I remember having my eyes glued on the monitor and esp. on the needle and hoping that the baby did not move at all (which he didn't).

Anyway, everything went well. I remember being so relieved when I woke up on March 31, 2004 and hadn't gone into labor yet. I think that I was so focused on making it to my scheduled date that I never really got nervous about the c-s procedure until while I was at the hospital and was almost ready to go into the O.R.

When are you due? Do you have a scheduled c-s? When is that scheduled for? Again, e-mail me if you'd like.

~Tina, bpmom@comcast.net, Mom to Nicole (6 y.o. w/LBPI) & Joshua (1 y.o. w/NOBPI -- c/s)
BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

Not sure if this matters but by neice was born at 28 weeks, 4 lbs,6 oz. via c-section and was stuck. I have never heard of vacuums being used, but forceps can be. Good luck and congrats!
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

My friends daughter in law choose to have a C-Section after she read Outreach and realized her first 10 lb child was lucky... the second C-Section had huge marks on his head from the vacuum. I was shocked I never thought that it would be necessary to use one.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
UK Mum

Post by UK Mum »

Hi there

Is this link any help? Its a downloadable birth plan in word giving ideas towards a positive c/s.

http://www.nctcheltenham.org/modules/Do ... sarean.doc

Also:

http://www.chippingtonderri.dabsol.co.u ... rthExp.htm scroll down and it has some info on what you may want to add into a c/s birth plan

My c/s was a very positive experience they did have to use forceps as my son's head was malpositioned and stuck but they asked my permission prior to attempting to use them. Maybe you could put this in your plan. I also stated I was happy to have a larger cut, I had a combined epidural/spinal as pain relief.

If you think I can help further in anyway let me know. I have helped moderate a c/s forum over the last few years here in the UK.

All the best
solson

Post by solson »

Our c-section is scheduled for 8/8. I'll be 39 weeks. There obviously is a good chance I'll go into labor before that point. If that happens I will still have the c-section though if we go into labor in the next week or two our new OB is open to attempting a vag delivery.

Everything I have read on c-sections states that vacuums or forceps may be used in delivering the baby through the incision.

Im not trying to dictate the surgery but trying to be specific about things like vaccuum use, pain meds, when I hold the baby, arms not being strapped down, etc. This c-section thing is totally new to me and I want to make sure that my birth is as close to fulfilling as possible considering the circumstances.

I will email the couple of you who offered up your birth plan--thank you!