Obtaing med. records....what to copy?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Obtaing med. records....what to copy?

Post by admin »

Sorry guys I have to post this one anonymous.

Does anyone know exactly what copies should be obtained from medical records (from personal experience)? I am going to review my chart this week and need to know what I should get copied outside of the obvious (delivery record, dictated notes, nurses notes). We haven't found a lawyer yet to take our case and I have sent Ken Levine a couple of emails to enquire what I should obtain but unfortunately I haven't heard back.

If anyone can give me any tips that would be great, since I can obtain the records for free.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

TNT1999

Re: Obtaing med. records....what to copy?

Post by TNT1999 »

When I requested my records, I just wrote two letters -- one to the OB requesting "a copy of my medical records including prenatal tests and ultrasound results" and one to the hospital requesting "a copy of the medical records (for me and my daughter) from the labor and delivery and hospital stay of my daughter, (name), (d.o.b.)" (and indicate the date range). I received everything except for the fetal monitoring strip. So, I later sent a letter specifically requesting the fetal monitoring strip. They told me that they don't normally provide that to patients, just to lawyers, b/c it's a lot to copy. BTW, the hospital had a policy of billing per page, but I don't think they ever did send me a bill for the records. So, anyway, I had the lawyer just request the fetal monitoring strip. Also, the lawyer should still request a copy of all the records b/c sometimes a more comprehensive package is sent to them (then, I've also heard of some things being "missing" in the copy sent to the lawyer).

~Tina, bpmom@comcast.net
tylergsmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Hi! I am Laura, the mom of Tyler, who has a ROBPI. I've been a member of this site since 1998 and owe a great deal to the wonderful people in the UBPN community who have helped us along the way get what we needed to get done for Tyler. Tyler is now 14 years old and in the 9th grade. He's a super bright kid and loves his video games. Tyler had the mod quad surgery with Dr. Shenaq shortly before he passed. That was his first and only surgery. Now that he is older he is requesting additional surgery. He'd like to be able to supinate. Our goal is for Summer 2013.

Post by tylergsmom »

You definitly want to make sure you get the fetal monitoring strips. I just recently changed jobs, but was working for a personal injury attorney who did medical malpractice, and the major part of my job was contacting hospitals to request medical records. Even if the hospital leaves some of the records out, your attorney's office should have someone doing what is called a chronology of the records, which is a timeline of events. After comparing those records to the bills, they should see that some records are missing and then follow up with the hospital to make sure they are received. We had serveral med mal cases where records turned up "missing". We would then have to subpoena the dr and then they would usually magically appear. Good Luck!

Laura
Laura LeNoir, Mom of Tyler, Age 14, ROBPI
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I went to the hospital in person and requested the medical records right then and there. There was a fee for the records (maybe b/c it was over a certain amount of pages? I can't remember) but I had them in my hands within minutes and watched them being copied.

~Krista~
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

copy it alllllllllll. If they copy it all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks everyone,

I am reviewing them tomorrow and I will try to get everything. I didn't even think about the monitoring strips as they may or may not be in my chart....they should be, but one never knows! Wish me luck :)

Thanks again.
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

Best of LUCK!

Peggy
duck

Post by duck »

If you haven't retained anyone yet for an attorney I sure would recommend ours! Iwould copy any and everything you could possibly get your hands on! From any source you can!! You won't believe what you read!!