I quit!!! NON BPI

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
BIGJAVSMOM

I quit!!! NON BPI

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

Thats right, I quit. I am 25 years old and have smoked since I was 12. 13 nasty, stinky, smoky years. Well, minus 18 months for 2 pregnancies. I have not had a cigarette in 3 days, I decided to quit after we went camping in NH last weekend and my last cigarette was on Sunday. Then I heard about Peter Jennings and Dana Reeve. So, I took that as a sign and decided to really try this time. I am not having a hard time yet, maybe it's coming, hopefully not. I smell much better already and Manny said I will get taller now. Since he learned that nicotine stunts growth. So I hope you guys can pray for me to get over this filthy addiction to cigarettes and wish me the best of luck. Hope I don't gain a lot of weight. Just something I needed to share with my BPI family.

Marlyn
smoke free- 3 days. (it's a start) I also joined the online smoking cessation group with the ALA.
dmom

Re: I quit!!! NON BPI

Post by dmom »

Good for you! That's a tough habit to kick, but three days is an awesome start. Have you turned to carrots and gum yet? Nicorette? Anyway - way to go!! Keep up the good work.

Janet
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Marlyn,

That is fabulous. Keep taking it one day at a time.
You sound like you have the right motivation.

I've never smoked but know it can be difficult having watched many friends go through what you are doing now.

You have made a good choice for yourself and our family.

Nancy
Karen McClune

Post by Karen McClune »

Marlyn,

This is really wonderful news. 3 days is a great start.

As Nancy said, take each day as it comes.

When you need to vent or just want support we are here for you.

Let us know how you are doing.

Yea for you.

Hugs, Karen

TNT1999

Post by TNT1999 »

Marlyn, good for you!! I've heard and read about how difficult quitting smoking can be. I've read some articles that I believe will be helpful to you. Here's a link to an article that also has other articles that you can click on and read / print. I hope this helps and that all goes well for you.

http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/200 ... cle_01.htm

~Tina, bpmom@comcast.net
BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

more great news!!! i didn't think about smoking, almost forgot I ever did until I read my own post. lol guess it really was my time to quit. thanks to all for your words of encouragement.

marlyn. p.s my mom, dad and husband all quit also.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yeah! Keep STRONG!
My Mom and Dad smoked a lot when I was a child, my Mom eventually quit, My Dad died of Lung Cancer on May 20, 2000. I have never been a smoker, so I cant tell you how hard it is to quit, but I know how hard it is for people I love. My husband and Step son smoke and I wish they would quit too. I have seen some really neat web sites, quitassist.com is one. Good Luck and even if you do pick up a cigarette, remember it isnt failure, just stay strong, and dont pick up the second! Keep posting here for encouragement when you need it.
Kimba
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am the proud Mama of an adult (20 years old) ROBPI daughter named Dani. She was delivered traumatically, with 1 1/2 severed nerves to her brachial plexus. She has had 2 surgeries over her lifetime. One at 11 months (sural nerve graft) and the 2nd one at 3 1/2 years old (resculpting humeral head in shoulder, latissumus & pectoral release and tendon transfer). She had both surgeries performed at BC Children's Hospital by Dr. Cynthia Verchere (Pediatric Plastic Surgeon) and the 2nd one by Dr. Christopher Reilly (Pediatric Orthapedic Surgeon). Her physiotherapist was Doria Bellows throughout her years of treatment. The Brachial Plexus Team in Vancouver is AMAZING.

Post by Kimba »

Way to go Marlyn!! I was 29 when I quit..now am 35...i smoked since I was 14...I am proud of you! It's hard..and there will be triggers..just try to avoid those triggers and chew a lot of gum!
hugs..Kimba
Kim (Lane) Hale
Proud mama to my daughter Dani, 20 years old, ROBPI
(2 pediatric surgeries)
Previous creator/moderator of:
West Coast Erb's Palsy Support Group

"Go where you're celebrated!"~<3