Help

Discuss Camp UBPN
alaskanmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Mom of daughter with complete right brachial plexus avulsion from a sledding accident

Help

Post by alaskanmom »

Help! I am having some anxiety about getting to the convention center from Dulles Airport. I have been studying this metrorail map and can't make heads or tails of it. We arrive at Dulles Airport tomorrow afternoon and then we were going to take the metrorail to the convention center. How complicated is it? Is there alot of transfer? Nothing like putting this off til the last minute. We catch our plane tonight and we should arrive in Dulles by tomorrow afternoon. How long of a metro rail ride is it? My husband wants me to just take a cab, so that he would feel better about us going. But if possible I would rather save the money and take the metro or a bus or something.
Any advice?
Rene
ubpncathy

Re: Help

Post by ubpncathy »

Hi Rene,
I'm sure you'll be fine. I am flying into the same airport and decided to take the super shuttle because I have too many things on my mind with camp and don't want the tourist experience with my kids in tow to find the camp on top of it all. You may decide to bite the bullet and do the same.

However, it's clearly outlined in our materials and it should run step by step, just as outlined. Nancy pulled those documents together and she took notes each step of the way. She is very thorough, so you should not have any problems if you follow the guidelines as outlined in your FAQ, and also follow the Metro Map.

It should be a fun experience, but if it's giving you anxiety, perhaps you should look into another way, such as super shuttle, to get there. I am running out the door myself today. Hope this helps, Cathy
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Rene what time are you getting into Dulles tomorrow? My mom and i are flying in there aobut 2:30 and meet up with Liz and Neil from the UK.... Im no pro but we can tackle it togewther if yo uare there around then... let me know!

COurt :)
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Rene-
We have been to DC several times and have flown into all 3 airports. In our experience, most scheduled shuttles, trains, buses, etc go to Union Station. Once you are at Union Station, everything is well marked. I have found that taking the metro is much easier to figure out than the bus. It sounds like the 4H Center is a bit of a walk from the closest metro stop though. People in DC are used to dealing with tourists, so be sure to ask!
We are flying into BWI and taking Amtrak to Union Station and then walking to the Mall from there! Look forward to meeting you on Thursday.
-Cori
Karen McClune

Post by Karen McClune »

HI all,

If you are flying into Dullas airport you will need to take a bus to Reagan National and from there you will be able to take the metro and a bus to the 4H. There is no metro from Dullas airport. Once you get to Reagan National airport, Nancy has given you great directions that you received in your 2nd mailing.

Dullas airport is out in Northern Virginia.

I have taken the bus from Reagan National to Dullas airport before and it was just fine.

If you have any problems there is always someone to ask at the information desk at the airport.

Have safe travels

See you all tomorrow or Thurs.

Hugs, Karen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
My mother alerted me to this post. I just wanted to take a quick min. to explain the airport situation in the DC area.

There are 3 primary airports in the DC area:

BWI – Baltimore/Washington International Airport which is between DC and Baltimore off of I-95 in Maryland

IAD – Washington Dulles International Airport which is west of DC in Virginia

DCA – Washington National Airport which is right outside the city in Virginia.

Information about IAD and DCA can be found here:
http://www.metwashairports.com/

Information about BWI can be found here:
http://www.bwiairport.com/

Of the three airports the Washington subway system, referred to as “Metro”, only stops at DCA. Amtrak runs to BWI and then stops at a couple different Metro stations with Union Station being the largest and probably you’re best bet for getting to the mall/rally site or jump on a Metro train from there and get off at the Smithsonian station to save yourself some walking. I do not know Amtrak’s current policy of buying tickets and if they have to be bought in advance. Please check Amtrak’s website or call them for details about how to get tickets and ride from BWI to Washington DC.

There is no train service that runs to IAD. The Super Shuttle is a good idea for getting into the city from IAD. There are a few different options provided by Washington Flyer; the official transportation company of the Dulles Airport. The first option is taxi which is probably the fastest and most convenient. A trip from IAD to the heart of DC in a taxi will be about $50 according to the Washington Flyer website (http://www.metwashairports.com/dulles/ground.htm). A far more economical way to get from IAD to the city is the Washington Flyer Coach or bus service. The coach service runs at regular intervals from IAD to the West Falls Church Metro station which is on the Orange line. The one way fair is $8.

Directions from DCA were provided in the mailings about camp according to what I’m told.

A note about the Washington Metro system – it is easy and convenient to use. The website is http://www.wmata.com/ and you’ll find a map of the system and trip planners. This page http://www.wmata.com/riding/riding_metro.cfm gives you a good overview of the system. It is important to remember the ends of each colored line. This is an indication of which direction you are going. For example, the Orange line runs from east and west from Virgina, through the City, out to Maryland. On the Virginia side the last station is Vienna/GMU and on the Maryland side it is New Carrolton. Once in the city if you are on the Orange line and want to go west you’ll board the Orange Vienna/GMU train and if you want to go east you’ll board the New Carrolton train. There are certain routes where you may have to transfer trains. For example the blue line and yellow line run to DCA. If you are going directly to the camp you’ll want to board the yellow line towards Mt. Vernon Square. Get off at Gallery Place Chinatown. You’ll then find the signs for the red line towards Shady Grove. After boarding the red line towards Shady grove get off at Friendship Heights. Then board the bus to the camp site. Montgomery County (county where the camp is) bus system is called Ride On and both bus 1 and 11 go to the camp. Metrobus, the Washington Metro bus system, also stops at the camp and is served by bus L7 or L8. When you get to the Metro station at the DCA airport you’ll notice Farecard machines. You’ll need to purchase a farecard at this time. The card will get you through the turnstiles and into the Metro system. Each passenger must have a farecard except for children under 4. You can transfer between trains without leaving the system. If you are going to transfer by bus make sure you get a transfer ticket from the “transfer” machine before leaving the station. When you leave the station you will need to use the same farecard you used to enter to pass back out of the turnstiles.

Getting from DCA to the rally site is very easy. You’ll find the Metro station at DCA and purchase your farecard at the machine. Enter the turnstile and board the blue line train towards Largo Town Center. Get off at the Smithsonian station. That’s it.

If you get lost in the Metro system do not hesitate to go back to the entrance of the station and ask one of the attendants. They are very helpful even when you get off of a long flight and start asking for trains that don’t exist at that station which I did once and the gentlemen kindly corrected me and sent me on my way.

So, don’t forget to check your tickets to make sure you know what airport you are flying into and have a safe flight everyone. I look forward to seeing everyone, it’s been too long.

I hope this helped.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Court,
We are getting to Dulles at about 2:19 on Delta Airlines. We are leaving for the airport now, so I wouldn't know where to meet up with you. But thank you!!! I know we will be fine. This trip will be alot more pleasant than the last one. Thank you to everyone for responding so quickly.
Rene
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Rene I will try and look for you guys!!! Safe travels!

COurt :)
Grandma Lou in NH

Post by Grandma Lou in NH »

Thanks, guest,null, for such complete, helpful and

accurate metro information. It is much appreciated. Lou