Pain in arm when ill

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
AlannahD
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 7-year-old granddaughter, LOBPI

Pain in arm when ill

Post by AlannahD »

Alannah has had fever and slight GI upset. She complains that her "surgery arm" hurts. Does tylenol or ibuprofen help with this pain? Does it go away on its own. Thanks - Camille B,grandma
admin
Site Admin

Re: Pain in arm when ill

Post by admin »

With my child, when the arm hurts we know that some sort of sickness is on the way. It's a barometer and actually I'm thankful in a way because usually we can head off a possible big thing by doing the "right things" immediately (sleep, vitamins, healthy food, etc.)
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

When I used to get scared or really nervous (like before an exam/test/appointment with doctor/dentist) my arm would hurt too.
Marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Amy

Post by Amy »

I am so confused.
The DR and the PT told me she doesn't have pain from this type of injury.
Does it only occur as one grows older?
If shes screaming when the PT is raising her arm up and stretching is it really hurting her and not just a "tight" feeling like the PT says it is?
I DON'T want to rush my last baby to grow up but this makes me really wish she could talk!

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Amy & Family
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Nerve injury can produce pain. I have pain when my arm is touched too hard or I bang it, it hurts more than if I would have banged the other arm.
I am not sure why they said that this type of injury doesn't produce pain, many of us on the board feel pain, to varying degrees. Also what brings pain on differs for us all.
I also have a more recent spinal cord injury (nerves are damaged) and I feel pain from that. It is a nerve injury too, and pain is felt...
I would suggest you ask them to clarify what they mean by no pain and why they say that. If you have to give examples from us, those of us who can vocalize and say YES WE FEEL PAIN FROM THIS INJURY!
Marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Yesss, we have pain due to nerve damage and growing/healing in weird ways.Crying is a baby's way to tell you it hurts. Ignored, it hurts more..aspirin or tylenol helps.
HUgs,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI, age 68
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My daughter had pain up until she had her primary nerve grafting. I know it for sure because she was really a different child afterwards, much happier. But she has had many bouts of pain since and you can tell. Her face gets white. Her shoulder and elbow almost always hurt now.
BIGJAVSMA

Post by BIGJAVSMA »

Jody just got over a viral sickness(hand foot and mouth) and while he had a fever his Right arm was killing him. He cried for about 3 days straight. The only thing that helped him was a warm towel- i put it in the dryer for a few minutes. his elbow always hurts during cold and rain.

marlyn mom to jody 2
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

My arm is more sensitive when I am sick.
I have more pain if I am overtired.

Kath adult/robpi
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
JaimeC

Post by JaimeC »

My son always gets what he calls "electric shocks" in his arm with a fever. As one person said above, it's a barometer, and often my first clue that he's coming down with something. He says it "shocks" him about once every minute or so, and he flinches with each one. He's 10 by the way. If I give him advil or tylenol and the fever comes down, the shocks stop. I've heard from a number of people that they have something similar.