St. Baldricks...non BPI....off topic

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
brandonsmom

St. Baldricks...non BPI....off topic

Post by brandonsmom »

I am such a proud mom right now...I could explode. My daughter who is 15, shaved her head at a St. Baldricks event and raised over $200 for the research of childhood cancer....not only that she gave 18 inches of her hair to "LOCKS OF LOVE" so that they can make wigs for children who have cancer, free of charge. I am so proud, she wanted to do this really bad, so I let her....but it made me change my mind about teenagers....as soon as I put pictures on a website, I will post the link here. Anybody from WI, she made the front page of the Kenosha NEWS !!!
GAYLE mom of Brandon 8 1/2 ROBPI, mom of Heather 11, mom of Tera 15...just 26 days shy of 16 Bald as a cue ball.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: St. Baldricks...non BPI....off topic

Post by marieke »

What a wonderful and thoughtful and un-selfish thing for a 15 YEAR OLD to do! WOW, hats off to her. I am so happy that she was able to do this. I am not sure I could have at 15...
Cool beans!
Marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I am sooooo proud of Tera. :) What a great Sister to Brandon and the other 2 girls.
Scott says "She's beautiful and soooo C-O-O-L!"

HUGS,
Carolyn J
Adult/LOBPI
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

WOW!! What a brave and thoughtful thing to do! I know that I could not have done such a thing at her age. Of course, when I was her age, I don't think there was an organization to take the hair and make it into a wig. Also, bald female heads were not only not in vogue back then, they were never seen :). Nevertheless, it was a very brave thing to do!

Joanie
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Oh, brave is a good word. I wouldn't do it adn I am well, 40. No way !!! She is so proud of her new hair style. I cannot wait to hear what kind of day she has at school today, kids can be so cruel no matter what the circumstances!! I think she is ready for them, she is her momma's daughter, that is for sure.

Oh, you have no idea how proud I was.....most high school athletes, don't make it on the front cover !!!
:) GAYLE
katep

Post by katep »

Wow, that is an amazing 15 year old you have! You SHOULD be proud! I hope she holds her (shaved) head high at school today!

Kate
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Thank you Kate,
She had an awesome day at school. She couldn't believe how many hugs she got from kids she didn't even know(she has 3500 kids at her school) kids who had family memebers with cancer and were appreciative of what she did. I guess she was on the news in Wisconsin too, we didn't see it, we live in ILLINOIS and don't get wisconsin news !!! GAYLE
angels mom

Post by angels mom »

Truely AWSOME!!! What a wonderful young lady you have, to care so much about others. :) WAY TO GO!!!!