Outreach

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Brenda333
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter has global palsy (c5-T1 injury) 5 surgeries at Texas Children's by Dr
Laurent, Shenaq, and Nath. 1st Surel graft 2nd Intercostal transfer 3rd Latisimus Dorsi transfer with subscapular release 4th Pec release 5th Bicep lenghtening, (which weakened her bicep, and contracture returned.) Has went through serial casting with fair results. Her arm is about a hand shorter then the other. She has limited hand function. (able to grasp) Arm stays pronated. Unable to get to neutral. Now dealing with sternoclavicular subluxation. All that being said....She is very functional. She is a very determined, strong, tenacious young woman. Now 15. She plays the trumpet, french horn, drums, guitar, and now learning piano. Has always played on a softball, and basketball team. Until recently, for fear of further injury due to the sternoclavicular subluxation. (separation of colarbone from sternum) Not sure if all this is spelled right.
--

Outreach

Post by Brenda333 »

Received Outreach today. I am always amazed at the truly informative Outreach Publication. The new issue is just out standing. Thank you to all the volunteers for their time, energy, and talent. Without the work of UBPN, we would just be left out there to wonder.
Again, thank you all for your hard work!
Brenda Copeland-Moore
Wisconsin
Brenda
BPI Connection
http://www.freewebs.com/wbpic
mommieinneed

Re: Outreach

Post by mommieinneed »

How do I get a copy of Outreach and does it cost.
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

Outreach is free. Just send Nancy your address and request to be put on the mailing list. Here is her address nancy@ubpn.org .

Ours is here also.
Sue
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

MR. POSTMAN, I WANT MINE!!!!!!! I AM WAITING not so patiently either. GRRRR...:(

HUGS TO ALL,
Carolyn J
LOBPI 69
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

I got mine, but I cheated. I picked mine up at the Cincinnati conference. I still haven't received the snail mail copy. Great job once again to all that contributed to this issue! And I really enjoyed the pictures of everyone near the back of the issue!

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 4 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

I echo Carolyn's sentoments! GRRRRR! :(
Marieke (31, LOBPI)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Wow, I got mine today.....Yeah, Great issue everyone! As always of course !!! GAYLE
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Being on the BOD of UBPN means I have read it but I love to get the final one in print....
Still waiting in NY...

I think NY must get it last... LOL...

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

lol Kath we will have to see who gets theirs first! Last camp Outreach took forever to get to me!!! I hope this one comes sooner! I love getting the printed on, easier to look at!

Amy 20 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Karen McClune

Post by Karen McClune »

Kath and Amy,

We on the west coast always get theirs last.

I am with you Kath, being on the board I have already read it but would like a copy also.

Hugs, Karen