CALM Shoulder Screening

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
jg's mom

CALM Shoulder Screening

Post by jg's mom »

Does anyone know if OB's are using a new screening method to predict those at risk for shoulder dystocia and consequently OBPI's? It is called CALM Shoulder Screen Program created by LMS an insurance co and is said it can prevent 61% of permanent BPI. Sounds promising. You can check it out at lmsmedical.com to see for yourself.

Also does anyone know what is being done as far as hospitals and doctors tracking these injuries?
mommieinneed

Re: CALM Shoulder Screening

Post by mommieinneed »

Where at in IL do you live.

I havent heard of the screening but hey if that can work awesome.
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

I've briefly seen the system at an AWHONN conference I attended a few years ago. I have not heard of any of the area hospitals using it. I have heard one of the individuals affiliated with LMS's CALM Shoulder Screener (Dr. Lerner), and some things he spoke of were helpful and some things he said were downright from the perspective of CYA as a doctor. It was a bit uncomfortable for me sitting there as a nurse and mother listening to him and I couldn't ask quetions because it was just a webcast without the ability to ask questions! I'm not sold on this technology, although I'm excited that there are advances being made. I'm just skeptical about this company and not sold as of yet.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 5 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Christopher posted about it recently... clinics in Quebec, Canada (where I am) are starting to use it, though only in private clinics...

http://ubpn.org/messageboard/thread ... 722#171722

Marieke (32, LOBPI)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
jg's mom

Post by jg's mom »

I will ask around and see if people know and are using this. I'll let you know if I am successful. There has not been much progress in preventing these injuries. There is a great need for the general public to have this information since no one wants to talk about this injury before and after it happens. I am a nurse and
none of my nursing peers or anyone else I know even heard of this when it happened to my child.

To answer an earlier question. We are just south of Chicago . Are you in the area?
mommieinneed

Post by mommieinneed »

Peoria area. It would be cool to meet up sometime. I just am looking for kids that we can relate to and me myself parents also. Thanks, Leslie
coopsmom

Post by coopsmom »

Hey Tanya.
You sparked my interest when I saw that you attended an AWHONN conference. I am also a LDR nurse with a very recent shoulder dystocia delivery. My son has LOBPI(5 mos old) and I am just at the beginning of everything! I am having difficulty with being the LDR nurse, in the hospital where I delivered, and working with the MD's that delivered him.
Any advice?
Chris in PA
Cooper's Mom, LOBPI, 5 mos old
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

Chris,

I'll email you.

Tanya in NY
Tanya in NY
Tanya in NY

Post by Tanya in NY »

Chris,

I tried to email you, but it bounced back. Feel free to email me so I can email you back.

Nursemidwife86@cs.com

Tanya in NY
Tanya in NY
Roxnsum

Post by Roxnsum »

i am from Canada, and a girlfriend almost 6yrs ago had this test done when she was pregnant, she chose to have a c-section,..depends on the doctor u have (it shouldn't matter though)i think every pregnant women should have this option to have this done as part of their pre-natal care.i wish i had pushed for this.i should have been told about this from my obgyn.