7yo LOBPI playing baseball

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
KathleenZ

7yo LOBPI playing baseball

Post by KathleenZ »

My son just started playing baseball this spring. He is currently throwing with his uninjured right hand, and catching with his injured left arm. It is very difficult for him to catch with his LOBPI, but he definitely can't throw with his left. Any suggestions or encouragement from moms whose children played baseball?
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: 7yo LOBPI playing baseball

Post by Carolyn J »

Welcome Kathleen to our UBPN Family.
I Bumped up the Topic Thread "playing Sports" for you because it covers alot about several sports.

BTW, there are no dumb questions and everyone is welcome on all Forums Message Boards on our web site.
Us adults love to answer questions!

Carolyn J
LOBPI/69..+ ;)

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
momofb&b

Post by momofb&b »

my son is ROBPI and catches and throws with his uninjured arm. he catches the ball, puts the ball in injured armpit, drops his mit off uninjured arm, then throws with uninjured arm. he has played baseball for years...not the best or the fastest, but this is his method.

what was the name of the girl at camp that is the college softball player? Stephanie? we met her in 2005, great inspiration!!

hope this helps.
Crystal
KathleenZ

Post by KathleenZ »

I thought that I remembered reading about kids using their uninjured arm both to catch and throw. Is it complicated? At what age did your son start doing this? I'm wondering if we should continue working with him trying to catch with BPI arm, or switch to doing both with uninjured arm. Any insight?
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

I never played baseball on an actual team, but when I would play catch with my friends or my father- I would also do the catch and throw with my uninjured arm. What i woudl do was i would catch it put the mitt and the ball in my injured arm/hand and then throw it. i started doing it when i was young because thats just how i figured throwing and catching would work best for me.
~Mel, 20, LOBPI
~Mel/23/LOBPI
momofb&b

Post by momofb&b »

my son is 10 so I guess he has done this for about 3-4 seasons...like I said, he isn't very fast, plays mostly 3rd base or outfield. I don't know how complicated it is for him, its just kind of like a natural thing now. He is a pretty good hitter.

was there something in an Outreach about baseball?

Crystal S.
KathleenZ

Post by KathleenZ »

Thanks so much to all of you for your replies! We're going out tomorrow to buy a glove to catch with his uninjured, right arm.
mlynn

Post by mlynn »

we have our 4 yr old son in karate to help him with using the injured arm[karate is one of the only sports that uses the left and right body] i have noticed a difference just in 6 weeks on him using his r arm more/ his brain was used to using the left for most things. i hope he continues with this for a while. and his master says it will help with any sport in the future.
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

I also play softball and catch and throw with my left uninjured side. I started playing as a third grader and my dad wanted me to catch with my ROBPI hand and so I tried that but just got so frustrated so I took my sisters glove to practice one day and realized I didnt have to be frustrated.

What I do is catch the ball with my left hand and then place my glove (ball in it) in my right elbow as I have good biceps. Then grab my ball and throw with my left hand. This works really well for me. At camp though I had a tbpi friend helping me out with the sports clinic and his method was pretty amazing! He would catch with his uninjured side toss his ball up flip the glove to the ground and catch the ball and throw it again. I was absolutely impressed! This can be done incredibly fast. And I thought I had a good method. I can do it fast enough that many times no one notices what I have done.

Those are two ideas to play with and let your little guy figure out what works best for him.
Have fun with it!!!
Hugs,
Amy 21 years old ROBPI from MN (wishing that the snow would just stop so I can go play ball!)
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
hway

Post by hway »

Just so you know that it can be done, there was a major league pitcher named Jim Abbot who played in the late 80's and early 90's, who was born without a right hand. He pitched with his left while holding his glove in his right and put his glove on his left immediately after releasing the ball. He was known as a very good fielder in addition to being a good pitcher. There are videos on youtube if you do a search for him.