Mayo May 22nd

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Mayo May 22nd

Post by hope16_05 »

Hey all thought I would update you all. I have ben having a lot of pain in my good arm recently and its really starting to interfere with my daily activities. So I emailed my doctor at the Mayo and he wants to see me to figure out whats going on thats causing all this pain in my good arm. I am scheduled for May 22nd so hopefully he can figure out whats wrong with my good arm. I really need it to stay out of pain, its so much easier to use when it doesnt hurt. Homework has sucked the last couple weeks because I cant use my right for homework and my left has been really hurting.

Wish me luck that my doctor can figure out what the problem is in my left arm.
Hugs,
Amy 21 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Joanie

Re: Mayo May 22nd

Post by Joanie »

Good luck, Amy.

Joanie
Karen McClune

Post by Karen McClune »

Amy,

So sorry to hear that your good arm is hurting.

Let us know what the doctor finds out.

Good luck, lets hope it isn't anything and the pain goes away real soon.

Hugs, Karen
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Sorry to hear your secondary injuries are creeping up on you at 21,Amy. Please post everything you find out as all of us adults need to know what to do about this "Pain as we age" stuff. I don't dare use a vacuum or I am lost for 2 days. I really fear loosing use of this "good" arm. No, I don't have a dirty home I have a wonderful lady who cleans for me and this is not a luxury, but a necessity! You might think about getting a "voice activated" progranm for your PC. You "talk" your term papers...it is fantastic..I've seen one used. It may be a good idea to consider for your Research Project.

Hugs,
Carolyn J

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
PRISCILLA
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Son, traumatic injured (TBPI) - November 2003. 3 surgeries to date.

Post by PRISCILLA »

Amy. Im so sorry youre having such a hard time with your good arm. I hope your doc can help you and its not too serious.
Mary Beth

Post by Mary Beth »

Amy,

I hope it all works out for you.

I know with my TBPI to my right arm I've been doing so much more w/ the left and it has started to hurt and ache.

I think a voice activated computer program is great. I had one called dragon fly it worked really well, when I spoke it typed out the words for me.

Keep us posted and I hope it all works out.
Beckyerin

Post by Beckyerin »

What kind of pain is it? Is it achy or more like a burning pain. Any particular movements that increase pain?
Becky
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

some achy, some burning, its most bothered when I try to carry anything. However its now flares up while driving, typing, writing, holding my phone... Bowling is a really bad idea

The only thing that I have changed in the last two months is when I go home on weekends, I hold my boyfriend's hand on and off. But not that long because if hes holding my left hand I cant really do a whole lot so he usually gets to hold my right and keep it warm.

I have been resourcefull to avoid the pain as much as possible. Since holding my phone causes pain, (more of a burning pain for this) I have an awesome pillow that has a dip in it so it holds my phone for me most of the time. so I lay down to talk on my phone now. I dont go bowling any more because that hurts too bad (starts with an achy pain moves into burning). Typing and writing though, I cant avoid until I am done with finals next week. Speaking of typing, I must go finish a paper before my arm gets too much worse tonight.
Hugs,
Amy 21 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Beckyerin

Post by Beckyerin »

I agree with Carolyn, there are voice activated typing programs(Dragon naturally speaking is popular). There are also smaller keyboards that were invented specifically for one-handed people. You might already know about stuff too because you studying to be an OT. I, and I'm sure many others on this site, know just how how feel. My Left arm is way tired from years of double duty. I encourage stretching and massage when you can afford it and of course pacing necessary physical activity.
Becky
Mare

Post by Mare »

Amy
Is the pain in your forearm or wrist if its the forearm it my be knots forming on your tendon that is what I have its from over use my OT gave me a massager and said to use it everyday to break them up. You can find them by moving your fingers up and down your forearm while applying pressue where it is tender you will most likely find a lump focus there with the massager and Good luck I know it can really hurt. Mare