trouble in my "good" arm

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

trouble in my "good" arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Hey all, I was just curious if any one had any advice on why my left (good) shoulder is bugging me. It seems to be tense all the time in my upper traps and is really starting to bother me. As I have been trying to finish a paper for school today, it has killed my concentration. I am not enjoying the deterioration of my left arm at all. Any tips on how to make it better until I can see my OT and doctor?

Thanks,
Amy 21 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: trouble in my "good" arm

Post by marieke »

You can put a heating pad on it (or those microwave bean bags), Advil or Aleve will help with the pain and inflammation too... Massage.. you can maybe get a friend to give your shoulder area a good rub down.
I know how you feel!
Marieke, 32, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Beckyerin

Post by Beckyerin »

Do trap stretches. If your OT has not already shown them to you for your right side then google it. Make sure you hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds and repeat 5 times. Thats whats really lengthens a muscle. Use heat before you stretch. If you can't afford massage therapy I would suggest purchasing a home massager. If OT/PT is affordable go to therapy for left side.
Becky
Mare

Post by Mare »

Amy
My right shoulder used to get a burning pain when ever I sat at the computer to long or at work I was a bar tender and reaching to run the tap and get glasses hurt too. I tryed everything advil, heat, massage nothing worked then I got a cortizone shot and its been 3 yrs since it hurt. The doc said it was due to inflamation and posture and since I couldn't not sit or move my shoulder it wouldn't heal the pain started out slow some what anoying and became constaint and on a level of 1 to 10 it was a 7 all the time. See your PCP he can give you a shot and just one should due the trick Good luck
Mare