How do you know when it's right time to go to camp

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Nikki

How do you know when it's right time to go to camp

Post by Nikki »

Our daughter is 4 yr old. she has been in theraoy sincce 1 month old.She's always known that we play with ms. terra to make lefty stronger.Shes' recently been saying "ican put righty behind my back but i can't put lefty behind my back" or with lotion she noticed she could'nt do lefty like righty.We had preschool last year and will have another year before kindergarten.Just last week when she said those things again i told her i needed to tell her something and she sat in my lap. i said "i want to tell u something abot lefty and righty.when u come out of mommas beely u got stuck and got a boo boo on lefty and thats why we do stretches and exercises and play with ms. terra to make our arms stronger so one day we will try. She was just kinda looking at me saying oh . i took her in the bathroom and we sat in floor infront of mirror. showed her the nevergraft scar and told her thats where they worked on her boo boo and then again about makeing lefty stronger.I've wondered what she would say for so long.She said "well what about righty?' i said righty didnt get a boo boo just lefty but we woul work togther to make it stronger.Then she was to go swimming she loves the water. So my question is did anyone have trouble deciding when to go to camp? Thanks for listening and any feedback! mom to Taylor lobpi
Nikki

Re: How do you know when it's right time to go to camp

Post by Nikki »

next time i'll read it before i post it. i'm not ready to tell her the doctor caused her boo boo for fear she'll assciate that to the good docters and we were neglected by everyone involed w/ her delivery but should i tell her that right off the bat?
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

We weren't sure when to attend our first camp because Amber was so young, but we finally went last year for the first time. She was 4 years old, and she had a BLAST!!! She was so happy to meet lots of children who have "erb's palsy just like me" at camp for the first time. She did many activities, ran around like a crazy woman, got exhausted beyond belief, loved the travel (we traveled from NY State to Seattle), made some new friends who we look forward to seeing again, and thoroughly enjoyed herself. Her brother attended as well and he enjoyed himself and learned a lot, too. I took so much away from the camp as a parent that I feel it was an amazing experience, and I didn't even have the time to experience it all because my husband stayed at home during camp so I was with my children the majority of the time. I think that at age 4, your child could benefit from camp and enjoy it. I think you as a parent could benefit as well from being around other parents. There is something to be said for the friendships and knowledge that is shared at camp. Last year, there was a baby at camp, and then of course there was Carolyn, our resident camper who holds the title of being the oldest camper to attend. Just my two cents.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 5 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
Kristie

Post by Kristie »

Ian attended camp the first time when he was just 7 months old. And then we went again this last year. He was 6 and a half.

The first time it was for me the second time it was for him. I think there will be a third time if Ian ever decides that he is able to break out of his shell. He find new social settings difficult. He enjoyed camp but I don't think he got as much out of the meeting other with an arm like his was as big of an impact as I expected. Still he did notice and comment and has commented since so maybe it was a bigger deal than I know.

For me I just knew it was time to go. The first time I needed to go. I needed to see other kids and meet people in person. This last time I thought Ian needed to go and I am glad I took me. He and I had a blast! Everything just worked out for us to do both times as well so that was a big deal.

Blessings,
Kristie

Message was edited by: Kristie
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Post by veggiebug »

I think at age 4 she could definitely benefit from camp. It would have been so wonderful to have friends who were like me.

As for her finding out it was the Dr.'s fault, I don't think I'd worry too much.

Growing up I remember telling so many different versions of my story until I truly understood it myself and I never thought of Dr.'s being bad because of it.
It will help her understand her injury better so she's a little more careful while playing and in gym class once she starts that in school.

Hope this helps.
-Traci
mlynn

Post by mlynn »

We have not told our 4 yr old how the injury happened. In fact he does not even know his arm was a result of an injury. I am curious when the time others told their children about the details of this?
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

I always knew my arm was injured from a birth accident, though not that the doctor did it until I was older.

As for Camp, do you mean Camp UBPN? or Day camp/sleep-away camp in general?

I did day camp starting at 6 years old and loved it. Sleep-away camp at 11 with Girl Guides (Girl Scouts). CAMP UBPN I did this past September, but would have loved it as a younger kid, knowing that there were others like me!

Marieke 32, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com