Emma Preuschl - US Paralympic Team 2008 at BPI event

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Emma Preuschl - US Paralympic Team 2008 at BPI event

Post by mamaofsix »

I just wanted to let everyone know that will be attending the BPI Family and Friends Picnic in St. Louis that Emma Preuschl and her parents will be there as our guest, and will be on our list of speakers. She has LOBPI and is now 23. If you read the story posted yesterday about her, she is an amazing woman. She will be headed to Beijing in September to compete in the Paralympics. Here's the story if you didn't have a chance to read it. http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... /807300361

Her and her parents are a wonderful inspiration to OBPI families and we are thrilled that they have accepted our invitation to come.

Dr. Gregory Borschel, MD from the Brachial Plexus Palsy Clinic at St. Louis Children's Hospital will also be speaking with his OT/PT team.

We are looking forward to this fabulous gathering! If you haven't registered and are interested in attening, please email me at stlbpi@yahoo.com

I will also post the update in BPI Events for all to see.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: Emma Preuschl - US Paralympic Team 2008 at BPI event

Post by jennyb »

A tbpi from the US who posts on the uk tbpi board as swimhappy will also be competing on Sept 7,8,10,12 and 13. He/she has had the bpi since the age of 9. I am trying to get a name so we can cheer him/her on, but that may not be possible for you guys I'm told the US does not show the Paralympics. surely that's not true? If it is, that's really insulting to disabled people!
Jennz
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

...in case you didn't figure it out, swimhappy will be competing in swimming!
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

We get the broadcasts in Canada, but not as much coverage as the Olympics get... I agree, it sucks.

Marieke 32, LOBPI and Transverse Myelitis @T1
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Marieke,
I always watch the Olympics on Canadian Cable in real time anyway. I am going to try to watch the Paraolympics there too.

Hugs,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

LOL.. I tend to watch NBC for the Gymnastics as I root for Team USA there. But CBC for the rest..

oh and speaking of US Gymnastics team.. in 1996 Kerri Strug was thrown into the spotlight for her vault, and I noticed her dad clapping. It looked like he had a BPI, turns out he does. Kerri wrote a book and it is mentioned inside, his is OBPI as well.

Small world!

Message was edited by: marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
jennyb

Post by jennyb »

The swimhapy girl is amanda Everlove. Here's what she posted on the uk board:
Amanda Everlove from the US. I swim in the S8, SB8 and SM8 classifications. My best events are the 100 butterfly and the 200 IM so those are probably the best ones to watch: the fly is on September 7 and the IM is on September 11. I'll also be racing on the 8th, 10th, and 14th in other events (the 100 freestyle, the 100 backstroke, and the 50 free respectively).

BUTTERFLY WITH ONE ARM? HOW COOL IS THAT!!!
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Thanks Jenny. I'll be watching for both of them.

YES, ONE ARM BUTERFLY, HOW COOL!!!!!

Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI