hello, goodbye

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
jacko

hello, goodbye

Post by jacko »

Hi ! This is my first message to the board, though I've been reading all your stuff for ages. I just never thought I had any thing worth saying.
Just over a week ago, I decided enough was enough, and said goodbye to the right arm that I've been lugging around for 5 years. Some of you may think I've taken the easy way out, rather than waiting for some further developments in recovery procedures, and you may be right. I think it's a brave and sensible person who continues to hope. But although the removal of the arm hasn't changed the weird pain/numbness/tingling/etc yet, it has made my life so much easier. One simple example: now when I use an angle grinder or a welder, I can keep both eyes on the job, and not worry that I have ground off my thumb! In case you feel the same way about removal as I did, I'll update this later. Bye!
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: hello, goodbye

Post by jennyb »

Wow, Jacko, that's quite a decision! I've thought about it on and off for years, I'm still not decided either way, I assume I'll know if and when it's the right time. I know amputation doesn't cure the pain but you're right, the arm itself is a bit of a liability at best, a bloody nuisance at worst, especially if you're very active. I'd be interested to hear how you get on, keep us posted and good luck :0)
athos

Post by athos »

Just wanted to say hello. Some of us got off lighter than others. All the best to you.

Ciao, Athos
Mindy

Post by Mindy »

I think what you did took a lot of courage. Look into some of the prosthesis out there... The ones I have seen make me wonder...
Mindy
Paul

Post by Paul »

your a brave man I have thoght about it a lettle bit. but I have to keep looking its almost like i belive thair must be repair i have not herd about. so i will keep looking for now........ keep us up to date this is your topic now. paul
John K

Post by John K »

Hey Jacko

Im tbpi getting close to 3 years. I have often thought about amputation as well. I have had surgeries with no recovery. It seems my next move is live with the bpi arm or take it off. I just dont know how id deal with the pain with my arm not being there. But getting this dead weight of my back would be worth it I bet. Would love to hear updates from you. I wish you the best thanks for sharing you story with us.

John
sara

Post by sara »

hi jennyb what bravery you have, can i ask a question, my brother just had accident in april and i am his caretaker and i cannot begin to go to the level bpi endure but he has the most pain in this phantom arm, i will catch him sqeezing mid air, if you had that did you lose it after this procedure. sara
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Hi sara, it was jacko who had the amputation, not me, i'm not that brave (yet). Amputation doesn't do anything to help the phantom pain, though, but it can help ease the dragging weight of the arm on your neck/shoulder. For the phantom pain check this website http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/13/10/25.html
Hope your brother gets som relief soon :0)