Muscle Regeneration

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Chillywil91

Muscle Regeneration

Post by Chillywil91 »

For those of you who have had muscle waste away due to denervation as I have, check this out.

Stem cells could regrow muscle
Thursday, 05 March 2009
University of New South Wales

The researchers have used stem cells to
regrow muscles in a mouse.

The world-first procedure has been successfully used to regrow muscles in a mouse model, but it could be applied to all tissue-based illnesses in humans such as in the liver, pancreas or brain, the researchers say.

The research team, which is based at UNSW and formerly from Sydney’s Westmead Children’s Hospital, adapted a technique currently being trialled in bone marrow transplantation. Adult stem cells are given a gene that makes them resistant to chemotherapy, which is used to clean out damaged cells and allow the new stem cells to take hold.

A paper detailing the breakthrough appears in the prestigious journal Stem Cells.

The ability of adult stem cells to regenerate whole tissues opens up a world of new possibilities for many human diseases, according to the lead authors of the paper, Professor Peter Gunning, Professor Edna Hardeman and Dr Antonio Lee, from UNSW’s School of Medical Sciences.

“The beauty of this technique is that chemotherapy makes space for stem cells coming into muscle and also gives the stem cells an advantage over the locals. It’s the first strategy that gives the good guys the edge in the battle to cure sick tissues,” Professor Gunning said.

“What has been the realm of science fiction is looking more and more like the medicine of the future,” he said.

The procedure solves one of the major hurdles involving stem cell therapy – getting the cells to survive for more than an hour or so after inserting them into damaged tissue.

“In muscle, most stem cells die in the first hour or are present in such low numbers that they are not much help,” Professor Gunning said. “Until now, the new healthy cells had no advantage over the existing damaged tissue and were getting out-competed.

While trials of the procedure are at the pre-clinical stage, researchers are looking to launch human trials treating specific forms of muscular dystrophy such as oculopharyngeal dystrophy within the next three to five years.

The research was made possible by the generous support of the Oncology Children’s Foundation who recognised the potential to take the technology beyond an initial focus on childhood brain tumours.
siamerican

Re: Muscle Regeneration

Post by siamerican »

I always have mixed reactions to these studies/reports. While a part of me like probably most others here, gets excited at the claim to such advancements, another part of me is jealous of those rats, wondering when/if this research will benefit us masses, particularly those of us with limited incomes...
Chillywil91

Post by Chillywil91 »

I understand the pessimism, and the doubts you harbor. I have the same thoughts too from time to time. And yes I am very jealous of those rats :). I just posted that article to rekindle hope for those like me out there. My injury happened about a year and a half ago. So maybe I haven't been here long to realize this is a false hope. I still believe a fix for this is possible and it is less of a question of if than when. To some I may be perceived as naive. But in doing my research I'm reassured that there is still hope, because I've found evidence that a fix is in the works. So for those of you out there who are like me, don't give up just yet.
siamerican

Post by siamerican »

cheers mate. keep the hope alive. i've only been in it 10 long weeks, so perhaps I need more optimism, thanking the rats,not envying em.
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Chillywil91 wrote:(edit).... I still believe a fix for this is possible and it is less of a question of if than when. To some I may be perceived as naive. But in doing my research I'm reassured that there is still hope, because I've found evidence that a fix is in the works. So for those of you out there who are like me, don't give up just yet.
Chillywil91,
Couldn't agree more. Keep the faith. The key is advocacy and fundraising. Like everything, these researches need money. My goal is to live if the best I can, make as much cash as possible, and help support the reality of the cure.

Chris

Just read through your posts, it's nice to know someone else out there is interested in the research and cure for this injury. Keep it up, it will happen. We may be twenty years older, but it will happen.