Overuse warning signs

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
cdmurfee

Overuse warning signs

Post by cdmurfee »

Hi all,

I know several of you have had issues with overuse of your none affected arm. I'm still young, and haven't had complications, and as I'm striving to prevent overuse, I'm not sure what the first smptoms or warning signs are. Can anyone educate me about this?

Chris 24/LOBPI
drunkinemu

Re: Overuse warning signs

Post by drunkinemu »

Hi Chris,

I haven't really had any issue's myself through my life of overuse actually until the last week or two. I workout at the gym 3 times a week, other than that I mostly use my non effected arm(left arm) 80% of the time for various daily tasks. I have use of my right arm but I lack alot of strength, I can curl about 10-12lbs max. Just recently when I rotating my left arm warming up, my shoulder starts making alot of weird sounds?! Im starting to get some pressure in my elbow as well. It might be from working out but I don't lift more with my left arm then my right(so they don't look too uneven) but I think my left arms giving me signs that its getting over worked. I think if that's what is in question, you will know, your body will def give you signs. As for me I am going to try to take it easy but with summer coming up I kinda want to be all ripped up at the beach. Anyway, take care!

David
drunkinemu

Post by drunkinemu »

PS - Im 22 so I know its not old age....
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

Cool, thanks! I know myself, and I know I don't always know the difference between productive and antiproductive pain from working out.

Are you from orange county CA or NY?
drunkinemu

Post by drunkinemu »

Cali +1
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

Where abouts, if I may inquire? I went to CSU Fullerton and currently reside in laguna hills.
drunkinemu

Post by drunkinemu »

Im currently in Yorba Linda/Fountain Valley. I attend Fullerton (junior) college.
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

Oh Crazy. I used teach in yorba linda and used to live across the street from FJC off Berklee and Princeton
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Consider yourself super lucky and smarter than myself. I am 22 and dealing with all sorts of overuse. I realized while I was waiting in the airport this weekend and met a new person with bpi that I have used my good arm very hard and abused it!
Warning signs for overuse symptom include not asking for help! That was my biggest thing, I was invincible and nothing was ever going to take down my good arm and I used it to death! Now I have pain in my good arm a lot. A trigger for me is talking on the phone (now I use bluetooth so I dont have to hold my phone) driving long distances (I was driving 2-3 hours twice every weekend, now I use a spinner knob on my steering wheel) and carrying heavy things. I used to hold my nephew all the time, now I pick him up give him a hug and set him back down and I tell my boyfriends kids that I cant pick them up as they are older than my nephew and they understand a bit better.
Typing on a desk top computer used to make my arm a bit sore so I switched to a lap top which I have on my lap to type so I can rest my arm as much as possible since I type one handed. I am still in college so spacing assignments as much as possible also helps prevent too much typing at one time. Use a note taker if you can too much writing at one time can kill your good arm too. hhhmmmmm what else????
When someone said you can I said watch me and I did...Now not so much I have learned what hurts my arm and just say I dont want to hurt my arm...

Specific symptoms, pain on either side of the arm near the elbow, tingling/numbness on any fingers, pain/burning in the wrist or arm, pain in the shoulder. I think thats every thing that I have noticed so far.
Hope this helps you prevent what I wasnt smart enough to prevent when some one told me when I was 13.

Amy 22 years old and ROBPI Left arm overused hardcore!
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Beckyerin

Post by Beckyerin »

I am injured on my right but have always had a very functional right arm that could help me do stuff. But still when I was about 23 my right affected arm started to hurt and around 26 my left unaffected soon followed. So... after attended grad school for occupational therapy I learned how important it is to not push yourself when certain parts of your body start to hurt. These days I am very easy on both my arms(don't lift heavy stuff, stretch, get massage therapy/physical therapy when I can). I think it makes a big difference. For me the strategy is don't overdo it as much as humanly possible .
Becky