overuse

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Mare

overuse

Post by Mare »

I'm curious if any of the guys here have problems with overuse or do anything to try to prevent it. Frankie being 16 thinks it will never happen to him the paintball guns are heavy and he works at a garage where he lugs heavy tires and stuff around I have warned him about being careful or asking for help with things but he thinks hes a he man and just rolls his eyes at me, I don't want to be an over protective mom and nag him but I don't want him to suffer later any advice would be great from a mans point of view??? Thanks Mare
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: overuse

Post by Carolyn J »

Mare,
Type "Overuse" in the "Search Forum" Link at the top of any page and all the posts on the subject will come up for you. Print out all pages---don't preach, MOm---and put pages on his pillow or BR door.then he'll be forwarned for the future. Worry and preaching will only get you high BP and a deaf ear on Frankie's part. You must let him make his choices now MOM, but at least he'll be informed.

Hugs all around,
Carolyn J...sometimes bossy in my senior yrs LOL!
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Mare
He is not going to listen! At his age I thought I was superwoman and would not allow anyone to help me nor would I ask. There is a high price for pride. I guess I just wanted to me "normal." I insisted on doing everything for my self and by myself. Now in my old age I discover I was so busy being superwoman I did not realize that many "normal" women did not do things because they were hard and had no problem letting others help... Duh was I dumb... My pride was something I pay for today.

He will probably realize that he has limitations soon enough. But see if he will read some of the over use issues for himself.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I am going to try to explain this questions of over use. I NEVER had it. I guess it was because i was born with erbs in my left. My right became twice the sterngh . i could left a lot of weight. I drove a 18 wheeler and a 10 gear with 10 speed. for over 20 with no tickets or accidents driving a semi. the best thing i can say is not trying is worse!!!PADI MASTER DIVER TOM
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

I have to agree with Kath...Hes not gonna listen in the least. Overuse was never gonna happen to me either and then it hit me like a ton of bricks and boy am I paying for my younger attitude. I have learned that it is ok to ask others for help even if I must swallow my pride.
Hope Frankie sees this sooner than I did and doesnt end up with as severe overuse.
Good luck,
Amy 22 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

I can't say that I have ever had overuse symptoms, but I have also been very concerned about that issue for a while, and have been taking steps to prevent that, mostly unknowingly, for over 10 years. Since I was 13, I became determined to use my BPI arm as much as I could, and every year I can do more with it than the previous year. It was only in the past few months that I learned you can actually over use one side of your body, and I'm more determined than ever not to over use my "good" arm, as my career depends on the function of both of my arms.

Hope that helps.

-Chris, 24/LOBPI
Master DIVER TOM

Good choose, its just me. You should always try to work with in your limiation! But if you choose to live in fear then you will not live with the joy from accompment!!

Master Diver Tom
Mare

Post by Mare »

Thanks for your help I kinda agree with Tom to live in fear is not really living. I have never told frankie not to try or do things like paintball other moms say its dangerous and yeah it can be but so is crossing the street or eating food (you can choke to death ) So I guess I'll keep putting it in his head not to over do it and hope alittle sinks in. leaving notes would go unread for sure but thanks for the suggestions Mare
Master DIVER TOM

You know I am 56 with erbs of the left at birth. I know we all have emotioal issue with erbs including parent! You do need trying wheels with erbs! But I promise you will have a life with erbs! Stay all ways with in your limiations.TRY Something ,DO Something?? with the limiations you have now! Its just me? Iam proud of your choose.My mom gave up on my erbs when i climb up a tall tree around 9.I will now get off my soap box??

Padi Master diver Tom 500,Dives in over 20 islands sents 1981.

Chicago Semi driver for over 20yrs without a tiket or accident.

LOL-all
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

None of us are saying to live in fear and not try stuff. I'm sorry, but I disagree with some of what Tom says and I mean no disrespect at all.

Tom is lucky he has no overuse problems of either his "good" arm or BPI arm, but MOST of us do and it could have been avoided if we had changed a few things we did when we were younger. Not stopped doing them, just modified how we did them or how often we did them.

Just my opinion,
Marieke 33, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com