Where / Who are the best BPI doctors in the US?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
RobertRacer
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 9/23/07 - LTBPI / Motorcycle collision

Where / Who are the best BPI doctors in the US?

Post by RobertRacer »

So I've heard opinions a few different times. I was just curious for opinions. My window for pre existing injuries for my insurance is just about over, and I was thinking about having my medical records sent somewhere to review. At the very least, it'd be a second opinion but perhaps there is something that was missed or something else that could be done. Personally, it would just give me peace of mind to have some closure of sorts one way or the other. I've heard Mayo before but can remember the docs. So anyone, in terms of TBPI what do you think.

Clinic Name:
Where (City, St):
Doctors:
Your Experience There:
How you were injured:
Robert - LTBPI/34/AL - Yamaha meets Ford Expedition....not good.
PRISCILLA
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Son, traumatic injured (TBPI) - November 2003. 3 surgeries to date.

Re: Where / Who are the best BPI doctors in the US?

Post by PRISCILLA »

Hi Robby, Yes, a second opinion never hurts. In our opinion, and we got a few, saw a few different drs. in the US, the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Mn. is where we ended up. Our experience there was truly a good one. The clinic is called the Brachial Plexus Clinic and the drs. are Allen T. Bishop (ortho), Alexander Y. Shin (ortho) and Robert J. Spinner (neurosurgeon). I have their contact info if youre interested. My son James was injured in an atv accident in 2003 when he was 11. Hes 17 now. Hes had 3 surgeries and his injury was a pretty severe one. Those drs. were straight up with us. I would recommend them to anyone with a TBPI.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi Rob,
I am going to try to widen your effort and try to give you more of a direction in your quest.
Is the insurance company telling you that you will be cut off ? If so you need to see a lawyer to make sure its true that you can be cut off ?
If your doctor tells you that there is nothing more he can do? Than he should refer you to a expert in TBPI base on your limitations . You very well could be limited on how many new doctors you can see? How about a referral from your treating doctor?
Try asking here, saying what your limitation are and ask if some one here has the about the same TBPI issues and what treatment work for them?

In my ERBS birth injury from the 1950s, I never had surgeries . But I learn to be my best advocate with my erbs in order to work and legal issues in my life that came up. I hope you can fined peace of mine at least by how you are trying your best to advocate yourself to. I hope my thoughts help?

Best Trys,

Tom
RobertRacer
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 9/23/07 - LTBPI / Motorcycle collision

Post by RobertRacer »

Tom, I got insurance coverage post initial injury. All insurance has a window after you sign up before you can see someone, and have it covered for pre existing conditions. My window is almost over so that would no longer be an issue. I am greatful to the doctors here as they have done a great job for me but I feel like it couldn't hurt to see someone else to see if their opinion is the same. I had a secondary surgery to restore bicep and deltoid function, but the deltoid has never taken and I still have no use. I realize there is a somewhat low success rate for the deltoid in this type of surgery but I can't just accept that as fact without exhausting any avenues for restoring use.

Essentially, I just wanted a second opinion regarding my injury. Wanting to see who everyone else out there has used and who you'd recommend.
Robert - LTBPI/34/AL - Yamaha meets Ford Expedition....not good.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Ok Rob,

I am here as you are to trying to help others as we all do . One of the best thing about being on this sight is knowing people here Really Care. So I wish you the Best and sometimes, that is all we can Do??

Tom
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Rob,

I agree with Priscilla... I have seen a few different BPI docs and I was the most pleased with Mayo! I believe the have the most experience with TBPI and the TEAM approach is great! Most BPI docs specialize in something... these buys bring it all together! I would definitely go there and check them out!

Best of Luck!

Courtney