How do you feel pain ?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Lenni

How do you feel pain ?

Post by Lenni »

Hi everyone, it has been a long time since I have posted.......life gets busy when the kids get older and demand more computer time :shock:

Great work on the website , WOW I love it, congratulations.

I am writing today to ask about pain. Ashley feels very little pain her ROBI arm. Is this common? Lately she has been having pain in the shoulder area on her back I would say lower blade area , on her R shoulder. Is this a common area to have pain? I checked the area out, I see no swelling, bruising or discoration of any kind. The area is not warm to touch it just feels flat if that makes sense. She is using a hotwater bottle and taking advil for pain.

I am asking about the above mostly because she does not feel pain. The one time she did feel pain she had tore out the brand new plate and screws from a Humeral Ost. she had 3 days prior. When her surgeon saw her arm he fell to he knees weeping ........could not believe she was not in more pain. So should I be freaking out?

Keep in mind I travel some 7 to 8 hours and take two boats just one way to see her surgeon and I sure will if needed however would love any tips, thoughts anything............

Thank you so much.

Lenni
Master DIVER TOM

Re: How do you feel pain ?

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

To Lenni,

For ME, for 50 years I have very little felling in my erbs arm, I have cut bruised ,etc over my life time net affect (0). The shoulder on the other hand I did get a lot of pain driving a semi for years. What I did do to take gravity of the shoulder was cushion my arm with pillows and do so to change the angle of the arm this help me. This help me sitting in a chair and in bed to sleep to.
I also have that cold issue to in the arm and in winter driving semis in the winter the arm goes purple . I did have to be more mine full of frost bite in my erbs arm. There is a lot of things to me I just deal with that are part of my erbs.

Best Wishes, ;)

Tom
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

Lenni,
I can only speak for myself. My pain level is different than the average persons. I feel that those with obpi ( other OBPI adults Please chime in), that we are so use to pain that the level we feel is alot more tolerable than the others. An example of mine would be that when I have an ovarian cyst burst , I can function with this while it is going on.
It is something that needs to be seriously looked at. When we complain of pain ,it is usually serious. I know alot of obpi's when they are getting sick there arms start hurting. Also when I was going thru growth spurts, that seemed to cause alot of pain in the shoulder area. I hope this helps you.

Judy 48(ROBPI)
Amy Clark

Post by Amy Clark »

I personally would have her checked out. My daughter feels no pain in her arm - unless it is cold, oddly enough. She has torn entire fingernails off - blood everywhere - and can't feel a thing. Never complained about any of her surgeries, either. If she feels new pain, I would say it is a reason to ask her medical professional.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

I have some areas where I feel no pain, some where I am hypersensitive. I too get shoulder blade pain in my OBPI arm, mostly from when I overuse it/strain it. Massges, heat, cold... they all help, as does Advil.
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

when i was a preteen/teenager i used to get pain in my shoulderblade area of my affected arm when i stood up for too long. i think it may have just been from the way it hung there. it was a burning sensation... i work on my feet now and have no problems.. i may have been just a puberty thing... i don't know!
~Mel/23/LOBPI