breastfeeding help!

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

breastfeeding help!

Post by cbe411 »

Any moms out there breastfed their kids?? Do you have any successful tips for positioning with one arm?? My little guy is 7 weeks old and just 'killing me'. I have tried many thing but never even thought to look here.

Thanks!!

Court
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: breastfeeding help!

Post by marieke »

Have you tried using a breastfeeding pillow? These can take the weight off you and supports the baby for you in a good position for him to breastfeed :)
There are many types... some offer more support, and some are used for twins = one handed help.

http://www.soulmothers.com.au/product.aspx?ID=161
(you can get these in the USA too)
http://pregnancy.about.com/od/breastfee ... 22302a.htm
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Mica

Post by Mica »

Hey Court!

The pillows are a great suggestion! I also wonder if you could use a sling carrier (would work while seated or standing).

I found it very easy to nurse Aria in an Ergo baby carrier, and would sometimes use it while seated.

Good luck finding a comfortable solution - and congratulations on your new baby!!! So exciting! :)

mica
kissygoose

Post by kissygoose »

I used lots of pillows including a nursing pillow. I also used the back of the couch to help brace my arm up. The slings are good too. I used a ring sling where my babies could be in the position to nurse and I didn't have to use my arm at all. Also I got the help of a lactation consultant who helped me figure out positioning and such that worked best for me. I had to use some non traditional holds like the football hold and such.

Let me say, that it was a lot of trial and error until I found something that works. It wasn't till my 3rd child (I had twins the first time) that I really had the hang of it. Just keep trying, you'll find something that works for you.
stanleyars
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I have a LOBPI. No surgeries were performed as the injury was not well known at that time. In 2007 I found this website and was able to put a name with my injury. I debate having surgeries but have never seen a doctor for my injury. The secondary strain on my body has finallly caught up with me. I am only 26 and can't explain the amount of pain I feel in my back or shoulder to none BPI people. They do not understand the physical strain. I was blessed with a beautiful baby boy 10 months ago.....but he has become to reason for much of my pain. I will take pain any day then give up motherhood!

Post by stanleyars »

Lots of pillows like everyone else has said. I also found that if I sat on the couch or chair and could use my leg/knee to help prop the pillows up (or keep them from sinking) helped and used the football hold. What ever you do try not to get frustrated....I did before I found what worked for me...my son and I struggled with breast feeding because of this for the first 4 weeks....I found a position that worked and had a great experience for 4 more weeks.....but by this time my supply was not enough for my little dude. So remeber stay calm and try different ways everytime until it works for you. It is a different process for people with BPI....and my lactation consultant did not understad my problem.
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Post by veggiebug »

The boppy was great when I had my son, and other than that I might need a few extra pillows to get him in the right spot. It gets easier as they get bigger and don't fold up as easy. I always felt like Jack was falling into the cracks of the pillows or whatever I was using. It's definitely trial and error, and never worry how it looks to others, just find what position works for you.
luckyfin
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Left OBPI

Post by luckyfin »

I agree with others, lots pillows or blankets. I loved my Boppy Pillow. I used an ez-2-nurse, http://www.doubleblessings.com/servlet/Detail?no=271 , with my twins & I personally found it a bit more helpful then my Boppy as it is firmer, but obviously bigger since it's for twins. Search your local craigslist for one.

Congrats on your new baby!