My latest arm surgery

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

My latest arm surgery

Post by AngelaW »

Well I just had what will hopefully be one of the last in a long line of surgeries. Dr. El Hassan at the Mayo Clinic transfered my tricep to my bicep in order to hopefully get some flexion in my arm, and then did a ton of work on my hand to try and get some kind of usable grip with it. He fused the wrist, loosened the fingers into a better position, and then he transfered the one or two working tendons that allows my wrist to bend, to my fingers so I may be able to mildly open and close my hand. I'll have better details after my follow up appointment. All in all it was a much bigger surgery than I intended and I was under for about 10 hours. It's been a pretty painful couple of days but I am excited to have the cast off in a few weeks and see what's going on under there. If they look good I will post pics of the results. :)
Last edited by AngelaW on Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: My latest arm surgery

Post by Carolyn J »

Yahoo Angela!! PLEASE keep us posted on your recovery. Hand surgeries are new to me, so I am very interested in how it all goes for you. Thanks. 8-)
HUGS too, 'Cause HUGS HEAL!!!!
"Gramma" Carolyn J :roll:
LOBPI/72
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

:) Glad you are recovering, despite the pain!
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

Thanks ladies! :D
I thought I'd keep posting picks of the different stages so that you all can have some kind of idea of what this kind of surgery means. :)
This is the splint/cast I came out of after surgery. As you can see it looks like they grafted Arnold Schwarzenegger's arm onto me. It actually had to be suspended above the bed in the hospital. It's supposed to be held very high in the brace, near my collarbone, but I find it's too heavy and hard on my back. The first week was pretty painful but now in the 2nd week I am feeling better every day. 2 weeks from surgery I get to go back and get a cast that is hopefully smaller and lighter. I'm kinda excited to pick the color. :)
Attachments
Me prepped in the hospital waiting room right before surgery.  Can you tell I was excited?
Me prepped in the hospital waiting room right before surgery. Can you tell I was excited?
ang before surgery.jpg (18.12 KiB) Viewed 8204 times
Where's my hand?  LOL.
Where's my hand? LOL.
Cast 1.jpg (32.98 KiB) Viewed 8204 times
Last edited by AngelaW on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Thanks for your update with pictures, Angela.... keep on keepin' on & have a FUN pick with your colors, it makes wearing more bearable,mine does..[brace that is, not cast... lol].
Hugs,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/72
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

Well I got a normal cast today and it is so much lighter. Life is much easier now. My hand and wrist had a ton of stitches that were removed. I had a lot for the tricep to bicep work too. I can tell immediately that it has been succressful and was flexing a little until Dr,Elhassan told me to stop it.......heheheh. :D The hand and wrist are still quite swollen and it will take longer to see some of the results. All in all I am very pleased and almost can't wait another four weeks to get the cast off. I will post pics tomorrow when I am less tired.
Last edited by AngelaW on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

good to get your update, i'm looking forward to your "pics"...kerep up the posts on your progress.
HUGS,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

:) keep us posted
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

Took A little longer but here are the pics. :) My hand looks a little scary but it's still swollen. In 4 weeks I get the cast off and I can't wait. It's amazing that Dr. E has now operated on me from the shoulder to the fingertips. He's doing a great job so far lol.
Attachments
arm 1.jpg
arm 1.jpg (15.01 KiB) Viewed 8151 times
hand - Copy.jpg
hand - Copy.jpg (11.26 KiB) Viewed 8148 times
cast - Copy.jpg
cast - Copy.jpg (31.65 KiB) Viewed 8145 times
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

Pretty Cast, Angela! pretty casts really help heal. :) :mrgreen:
HUgs,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/72
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI