Scar Massage

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
bfaithda
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My name is Bridget, my son Brayden has a LOBPI. He was born 5-14-07 and weighted 11lbs 3ozs and was 22inches long and got stuck on my pelvis coming out. All 5 nerves were involved 2 ruptured and 3 avulsed, and also had Horner's Syndrome. He had primary surgery in St. Louis with Dr. Parks when he was 3 months old. He used synthetic materials to fuse the nerves together, because the nerves in his calves were not long enough. Brayden currently does aqua therapy, PT, OT and speech therapy. He has little movement in his arm and hand, but that does not stop him from having fun and being a normal boy!!!

Scar Massage

Post by bfaithda »

I have started massaging my sons scar on his leg. I have a couple questions concerning scar massage for those of you have been thru this. Is there any certain lotion that anyone has used that seems to be really good to help out the scar? I was told any lotion will do which I have been using Aveeno on him, but The other is when you first started massaging the scar did your child complain of it hurting or not want you to touch it the first several times of massaging? I am sure it feels weird or even hurts, but Brayden just squirms and ask me to stop. I can get him to calm down for a minute, but then he starts up again. I am just wondering if this is expected. Any info anyone has that can help will be greatly appreciated!
katep

Re: Scar Massage

Post by katep »

When I had to do scar massage on my scars from my knee arthroscopic surgery, it HURT LIKE HELL. If you think about it, scar massage is to help break up tissue connections so of course it is not comfortable. You are trying to soften the scar but also break inappropriate connections (adhesions) between layers of tissue which are supposed to be separate. The first few times were definitely the worst and caused very sharp jabs of pain. But it got better over time. I would go the pure bribery route... you know it hurts, but you also know it will help, so if he lets you do it for XX minutes he gets a special treat.

Kate
Tuckersmommy
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son was born At Parrish Medical Center in Titusville,Fla.After becoming stuck in the birth canal A doctor(any doctor)was paged 911.Believe it or not There was NO Obgyn on staff to preform a delivery,so a midwife and one other nurse had to deliver my son.He suffered 2 torn nerves and came out lifeless...
We see Dr.Grossman In Miami along with Dr.Price.He has had a nerve transfer in 2010,A round of botox and a recasting in 2011 and now we will having another round of botox in which we pray no cast will be needed.He is a smart handsome little boy who has come so far and everyday I feel he's improving!

Post by Tuckersmommy »

My son too has one along his back calf and last vistit the dr didn't like the look of the scar or the build up so he gave us a silicon patch to put directly over it and a ace bandage to keep it in place for a few hours or over night for scar therapy ....It worked wonders the scar was less visible and the lump under the scar went away all this with in hours of use.
They sell these in drugstores by the band aids.Just last month I had a c-section and the doctor there recommended it as well for scar management...along with gently massaging it with mederma or coco butter.Hope this helps
Life is a dance~We will all learn it as we go
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

when i was going to PT the therapist did my scar massage. he used vitamin E oil. it made it soften up quicker. and the vitamin E also helps moisturize the skin. the massage does hurt. do you go to PT? if you do, ask your therapist to do it for you they may have a lot of suggestions for you at home.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Vit E was what I used after my surgery, and yes, scar massage can hurt like he**! It does get better, but at first it really can be very unpleasant.
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

one thing i just thought of. start the scar massage as soon as physically possible after surgery even if the incision is still a little tender.(with the docs o.k.) it is still very unpleasant, but not as bad as if you wait till the scar tissue starts forming.
katep

Post by katep »

jmar wrote:one thing i just thought of. start the scar massage as soon as physically possible after surgery even if the incision is still a little tender.(with the docs o.k.) it is still very unpleasant, but not as bad as if you wait till the scar tissue starts forming.
I completely agree. Even though it's a little more painful with respect to the incision being new and more tender, there is not NEARLY as much of the "stabbing" pain of breaking the connections. You get much more of those types of pain - OUCH - if you leave it too long.

Kate
bfaithda
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My name is Bridget, my son Brayden has a LOBPI. He was born 5-14-07 and weighted 11lbs 3ozs and was 22inches long and got stuck on my pelvis coming out. All 5 nerves were involved 2 ruptured and 3 avulsed, and also had Horner's Syndrome. He had primary surgery in St. Louis with Dr. Parks when he was 3 months old. He used synthetic materials to fuse the nerves together, because the nerves in his calves were not long enough. Brayden currently does aqua therapy, PT, OT and speech therapy. He has little movement in his arm and hand, but that does not stop him from having fun and being a normal boy!!!

Post by bfaithda »

Thank you for the info! Today has been better massaging his leg. He let me massage it for a very long time tonight with not complaining. I am going to look into the silicone patches. Has one area that seems more like a knott on and aroud his scars. I am hoping massaging will help it!
Boomer2009
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son Parker was born at 37 weeks weighing 8lbs 14oz on January 15, 2009. WAY too big for me! Having had a difficult birth resulted in a left arm brachial plexsus injury. Parker has been in therapy since he was a month. has had an MRI and an EMG done. At this point no surigical intervention. Such a strong little guy.

Post by Boomer2009 »

Bio- Oil works magic on scars. I have also been told vitamin E. I prefer bio oil now though. Massaging the scar for the first several times will bother him quite a bit. The things we do as parents...... So difficuly to watch and hear our children in pain. I always tell myself this is for a good reason this will help this will help
claudia

Post by claudia »

I also used to massage the other arm.... her legs... her stuffed animal anything to make it more fun.

We also used the silicon patches..the flattened the scar, but I think scar massage is better. And remember, much of scarring has to do with where the scar is, how your child heals, and how the surgeon did the sewing.

gotta say, those orthopods really need a refresher class in sewing!!!! give me the plastics guy any day!!!

claudia