working out

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
emilyalberger
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: left arm bpi since birth,can only bend my elbow mostly ne feeling n when i get it its not the right sensation

working out

Post by emilyalberger »

so i got a health kick n decided to go work out yesterday....turned on the rocky theme song,did the treadmill,little weights n the bike thing...bad idea...i guess the weights really messed me up...i can barely move now n i was wondering if anyone has expierenced this pain n what can be done to help this pain
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Re: working out

Post by jmar »

i just got home from signing up for activtrax at the Y. i will find out soon myself. i will let you know how it goes.
jag
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: ROBPI

Post by jag »

Hi emilyalberger,

From my experiences, exercise (weight lifting in particular) has made a tremendous difference for me and my recovery!

I have just a small piece of advice for you:

If you are rather new to the "workout-scene" and are unfamiliar with lifting weights, it may be beneficial to seek professional assistance. What I have found is that there are several exercises that I have difficulty with. I.e. dumbbell shoulder raises, dumbbell curls, dumbbell chest press, just to name a few (Note all of the exercises consisting of free range movements with dumbbells). A personal trainer will be able to tailer exercises for you to accommodate your injury. As an example, I am unable to get the proper range of motion in my right arm to properly curl a dumbbell, so instead I will use either a preacher-curl machine or an e-z curl bar (where both arms are active in lifting the weight). There are some things to be careful of when using such "tactics" (over stressing you're good arm), so it is always a good idea to perform the exercises with a trainer, for the proper supervision.

As for the pain that you're experiencing, I am not exactly qualified to give any sort of medical advice :? however I will say that I also experience some pains in my right (affected) shoulder after a good workout (and I'm not talking about your typical muscle soreness). The soreness is usually right along my right shoulder blade. I'm not sure if this is similar to your injury, however, I find that a good stretch after my workout really helps with this. Again, I would recommend consulting a physiotherapist for proper stretching techniques.

I hope this helped! Keep blasting those beats! ;)
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

oops i forgot to post on this. i am only 6 months post surgery. i went to the Y and did an evaluation on my strength. i found out the next day that my forearm can not tolerate weight. the next day, my wrist and fingers were clawed severely. had to put my arm against the wall and force my wrist and fingers open. i will NEVER do that again. and that was only 10 pounds lifting with both hands.
ivym
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI- diagnosed at 30 yrs old, Right arm. Was told by parents growing up I had a "bad arm" and that was all. Now on the search for relief from the pain that has become unbearable as a result.

Post by ivym »

I love getting myself in shape... and hate my untoned arms. :) Alas, I don't have good movement in my right side, (Can put my arm up in the air but it's tough!) and it's not as strong.

I too have seen a OT to learn proper stretching- which does help with that after pain. The other thing I've learned, is that I'm just going to be uneven. If I am going weights, the band or anything, the most my right arm can hold is 2 lbs. My left I use 10 lb weights.

Also, I've found if I take group classes, I have to explain my injury before hand to the teacher, otherwise, I'm constantly being called out on having the wrong form, or not pushing myself properly. Sometimes, they give me modified moves.

Other than the pain, this is the worst part of my injury- I just want to be able to work out normal!

Keep going and just don't push that side of your body too hard!
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Rest is the big key for pain...you can also try ice or heat but you have to be very careful!!!! Dont get frost bite or a burn. Try aquatics, its not as painful but you still get an amazing work out!
Good luck

Amy 25 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I read these post and I was trying to think of how I loaded and unloaded Thousands of pounds of freight driving a semi or other things like clamping a tree as a kid with my birth erbs,ETC :roll: Then I thought about really how much I really used my left erbs arm. What happen was I built up my grip to hold things. Because I had grasp I could have my right put things in my left to hold things or my left would be raised by my right so I could grasp things. In my life the only thing that strengthen was my grip in my erbs side. I never could strength anything else and I only can raise it a few inches.

Then I thought about exercise for you guys :roll: ????? First I never had surgeries or any treatment. Most of you have had or will find away to get surgeries to further your movement. Focus on the movement you have or will gain ;) and build on it :D

To me its all about finding ways that work for you to use your limitation the best you can and its more important to find a activity that you can find to do with your limitation. You see So many post here of others doing activities and sports with there limitations. Some go to gyms and others do other activities in spite of there limitations :D

So the best activity is one you look forwards to and I see alot of Joy from post that do. I hope you find activity that you find fun to do and satisfaction by doing them ;) Your limitation will strengthen by do it :roll: Ok so we can only Try ;) :D Keeping a positive mental state can be more challenging than the limitation your left with :roll: The one thing that always help me to stay positive in the face of things I could find of a way to overcome by my tries was remembering what I could overcome in spite of my limitation. You have come along way to do it TO!!! ;) There are Thousands of post that underline THAT FACT :D

Best TRYIES, Like always, I hope what my life experience I had may help in a small way????

Tom
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I thought I would add this??? :roll: I am Crazy I take never giving up to EXtremes :shock:
I know there has been alot of post about over use and how real it is. I never had a problem with over use in my once good arm and I ended up ripping it up anyway doing a job I loved driving a semi :evil: You bet people over the years ask me about my birth erbs arm. But it was even funnier :lol: When they ask what I did for a living and I told them I drove semis for 25 years, Here the look I get :shock: .

When you find a sport or activity you can find to do, Just do it ;) Maybe its just me, but I think about the pain less because I am focus more in enjoying thinks I still can do in-spite of two screwed up arms now. People will always ask about your limitations but people really do have this look :shock: when they find out what you can participate in by doing. Self esteem helps a lot in overcoming limitation by trying. Watch for over use,FOR-SURE!!! . But dont let it limits you from trying :roll: There is alot of thing as you age that Can happen like a STROKE< PARKINSON, and a laundry list of other thing including getting your good arm injured at work :roll:. I guess what I am trying to say is not to stop trying because of the Real possibility of over use. Because as you get older you might regret over protecting your good side. I absolutely am not down playing the over use Fact. I am all about TRYING to keeping a positive state to get pass the despair that happens to. This is just Me :roll:

Tom