2months after surgery- desperate to get back into sport!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
haggis1982
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle accident on 9th Sept 2011. C5/6 injuries, complete paralysis of the shoulder and elbow (hand movement returned) of the left arm. Surgery 21st Dec 2011- pec and tricep nerves branched and 30cm of the sural nerve from the left leg harvested and transplanted into the c 5/6 nerve areas to repair and strengthen all 3 of the damaged nerves.

2months after surgery- desperate to get back into sport!

Post by haggis1982 »

Hi there,

I was in a motorcycle accident 6 months ago, was badly misdiagnosed in China but thankfully returned home (to Scotland) and was diagnosed with a brachial plexus injury. I have no movement in my left elbow or control over my shoulder, but I can control my left hand.

I had 2 nerves branched and nerves transplanted from my left leg to the 3 damaged nerves.

I teach Physical education in an International school and I returned to work over a month ago.

I am now coaching soccer and I really want to find a way of being able to run and be as active as possible. Normal slings are just so uncomfortable on the back of my neck and pull my shoulder forward.

I have seen posts about slings made to order- can anyone give me some advice about this?

Any tips on running or any exercise programs people have followed post surgery.

I am grateful for any advice you can give me!

Thanks,
Amy
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Re: 2months after surgery- desperate to get back into sport!

Post by Christopher »

get mobile again, get a sling... it'll change your life back.

http://ubpn.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18806

FYI I spent years trying to find one (& creating many that'd work). Don't waste time getting active again, if you were before (as you obviously were).

Best of Luck!
Chris
mjoey
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Left arm totally flail from 2000 TBPI

Re: 2months after surgery- desperate to get back into sport!

Post by mjoey »

I found a local seamtress and got them to build/make me some slings. I wear a sling allday long. I can not stand for it just to hang down. my custom slings are longer than regular for they cover up my hand. I have blue ones for my daily job, carhart ones for working at home or in the barn, these are tough, camo ones for hunting, black ones for formal dress, and even a doubled football shirt like material for swimming that way the water drains out when i get out of the water. I played paint ball a few years back in which I would take ace bandage and wrap around my mid-section holdind my arm against body, this would help it from bouncing. I like to play golf now. never played it when i had 2 working arms, but play it now with one.