Advice for Kindergarten

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
bfaithda
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My name is Bridget, my son Brayden has a LOBPI. He was born 5-14-07 and weighted 11lbs 3ozs and was 22inches long and got stuck on my pelvis coming out. All 5 nerves were involved 2 ruptured and 3 avulsed, and also had Horner's Syndrome. He had primary surgery in St. Louis with Dr. Parks when he was 3 months old. He used synthetic materials to fuse the nerves together, because the nerves in his calves were not long enough. Brayden currently does aqua therapy, PT, OT and speech therapy. He has little movement in his arm and hand, but that does not stop him from having fun and being a normal boy!!!

Advice for Kindergarten

Post by bfaithda »

Have not been on in a long time, but I need some advice for Brayden. He starts kindergarten next year, and I have his IEP meeting this week. Anything I you guys can think of that I need to make sure it is in his IEP. Some ideals I guess so I can make sure I have it all in there. Usually by the time I go to these meetings my mind goes blank! Any help will be great!
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Re: Advice for Kindergarten

Post by jmar »

when i have a dr appt coming up, i have a document started in word and when i think of a question to ask, i type it in there and save it. i dont lose the paper i write things on and it keeps it all in one place. and it is easier to read, too. the day before my appointment, i go and print it out. that saves me from a lot of forgotten questions. you could do that for the IEP appointment also. actually, it would be good for any type of meeting or appointment coming up. as for any specific ideas about what questioins to ask, i dont know anything about that. good luck and hope your little guy likes school
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Re: Advice for Kindergarten

Post by F-Litz »

I suggest you become a room mother and go in the classroom to help the teacher out with "stuff" The teacher will be so grateful and in exchange you will learn about what your child needs in the classroom. It's a win/win.