Tendonitis in non BPI arm

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
kim lane
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My daughter, Dani has ROBPI. She was born in 1997, and suffered 2 avulsed nerves and stretching to another as a result of her birth injury. Dani has had 2 surgeries, both under 5 yrs of age. Sural nerve graft, and a humeral osteotomy, latissimus and pectoral muscle involvement as well.

Dani is an avid Western equestrian, and owns her own horse, Zoey.

Tendonitis in non BPI arm

Post by kim lane »

Wow, it's been a long time since I was on the UBPN boards. I am so happy to see some familiar names/faces, and sad to see how much need there is still for it. That aside, what an amazing place this is for people, and I know it was once a lifeline for me, when Dani was a baby especially.

Recently, during Spring Break, Dani, my 15 yr old daughter (ROBPI), who is an avid Western equestrian, injured her non BPI arm, (left side) rather severely, while using a heavy wheelbarrow at the barn. Her physio made her use a splint that isolated her thumb and aside from the pain, it REALLY revealed how much she relies on using her left arm. She emotionally struggled with it too, as the Dr advised her due to the BPI, overcompensation injuries will be common unless she manages to find other ways to do things. Ugh. It crushed my girl.
She has had two surgeries-both under 5 yrs of age, and I think felt that she was managing to do as much as she can despite her arm. This has affected her confidence, has probably also made her question her dream of running her own barn, and doing the manual labor it takes to keep up the barn and it's chores. Dani doesn't talk that openly about her arm or limitations she feels, unlike me, that is an open communicator. I can't help but feel if she knew other teens that she feels a connection to it would help her. Or to hear if others have had tendonitis in their able arm, and how they have healed from it.
I haven't been overly impressed with the physio's lack of game plan, long term to restrengthen her arm. I am waiting to hear from her physio that she has had since she was a baby, that specializes in BPI. I want to see if she can give us some advice.

Can anyone shed any light? Or have any suggestions or a similiar injury to their nonBPI arm?

Thanks in advance. <3

Kim
kim lane
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My daughter, Dani has ROBPI. She was born in 1997, and suffered 2 avulsed nerves and stretching to another as a result of her birth injury. Dani has had 2 surgeries, both under 5 yrs of age. Sural nerve graft, and a humeral osteotomy, latissimus and pectoral muscle involvement as well.

Re: Tendonitis in non BPI arm

Post by kim lane »

Our long time physiotherapist just gave me a referral to a hand therapist for next week. Hopefully he can advise us on what the long term plan for Dani's nonBPI arm will be.
It has affected her ability to write, tack her horse, do household things, do her hair (she can't do many of those things with her BPI arm, and with tendonitis in the other arm...WOWSA. :(
I think there could be significantly high numbers of people with BPI that will develop or have tendonitis from overcompensation injuries.

Food for thought. Was hoping to hear back from people that have had this or similiar experiences.

Take care,

Kim <3
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Kim,
Tendonitis is a re-acurring secondary injury we BPI-ers have when we over -use our "good"/non-injured arm/hand. Just type "over-use" in the Search Box at the top of any Forum page and all posts on the subject should come up for you.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74
kim lane

Post by kim lane »

Carolyn,

THANK YOU!! :)
I will do that, and hopefully can provide the therapist and Dani with some good information.

I appreciate your response very much.

Take care,

Kim
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Kim, tell Dani she's not alone! I am 25 years old with some nasty tendinitis in my left arm...and actually in my right(BPI) arm too. The only true cure for tendinitis is rest and we all know that's not realistic. I have found that massage and ice work best when I am really hurting. I also got a spinner knob for my car as driving was one of my biggest triggers. My best advice is the get to know your triggers then pace those activities as much as possible. Medically, I have found some relief using iontophoresis. Ultrasound and massage works well too. Now my hubby can do my massage when it's hurting so I don't have to go in for that any more. Good lick to Dani!!!!
Hugs,
Amy ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
brittwitt
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
Injured at birth. Moderate injury with no surgeries.

Post by brittwitt »

I definitely understand the feelings about injuring your "good" arm. When I was a freshman in high school I fractured my non-bpi arm playing soccer and it was pretty eye-opening. With my right arm broken, I couldn't lift either arm above my head! I was in cross country first period so after we ran and showered my friends would brush and style my hair in the locker room for me. Lunch was also kinda funny because I couldn't quite get food to my mouth without extending my fork and lowering my head to meet it! I also had to shower with a bag over my cast and I honestly have know idea how I washed my hair. Ha I wish I could remember because it must have been quite a feat! It was definitely really scary to realize how dependent I am on my non-injured arm! I've been worried about hurting it again ever since and overuse is always on the back of my mind.

I don't have tendonitis that I know of. I do get massages somewhat regularly though and the massage therapist says that I have lots of knots in my good arm from overuse that will cause problems if I don't continue to work them out. My non-injured arm does tend to hurt a lot if I have a lot of tests one week and am using the computer to type more than normal. If it's bothering me I usually try to massage it the best I can myself, put on some icy hot, and switch up positions (if it's caused by doing something like typing in the same spot for too long).

I also worry sometimes about my future plans being affected by pain in my arms and lower back. But why worry about something that might not happen? Maybe there will be pain (haha ok most likely there will be lots...) but that doesn't mean we won't find a way around it to make everything work out. I definitely believe that if her dream is to own a barn she will find a way to make it work!
kim lane

Post by kim lane »

Hope & Brittwitt,

Your messages BOTH brought tears to my eyes. First because you both really connected to what I was asking, and due to your age, would be very relatable for Dani to hear. She is coming to terms with the scope of this injury.....at 15.

I will pass along this whole thread and have asked her to come to the board, JUST to see. She has so far not wanted to. And I know that if she meets other people that UNDERSTAND those things-the makeup, the hair, the eating all the challenges, then she may feel like exploring the support aspect more.
The physio we went to see last week is making a new splint for her to ride in, and told her at her age, it's up to her to know when her arm is fatigued or sore. And doing ultrasound, and some small stretches. He is also an equestrian, with a solid understanding of what Dani deals with from his training. I feel hopeful that he will help her with life long information as well.

I have nothing but gratitude in my heart for ALL who share on the boards with each other. Some days it's easy to post or reply, and others not so much. But it is still a gift we share with each other...

THANK YOU.