BPI and Xbox Kinect

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
bfaithda
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My name is Bridget, my son Brayden has a LOBPI. He was born 5-14-07 and weighted 11lbs 3ozs and was 22inches long and got stuck on my pelvis coming out. All 5 nerves were involved 2 ruptured and 3 avulsed, and also had Horner's Syndrome. He had primary surgery in St. Louis with Dr. Parks when he was 3 months old. He used synthetic materials to fuse the nerves together, because the nerves in his calves were not long enough. Brayden currently does aqua therapy, PT, OT and speech therapy. He has little movement in his arm and hand, but that does not stop him from having fun and being a normal boy!!!

BPI and Xbox Kinect

Post by bfaithda »

Hey everyone! Haven't asked a question in awhile, but here I go! I am thinking about getting my kids an Xbox kinect, but I want to make sure Brayden will be able to use it about as good if not better than the WII. He can use the WII, but there are alot of game he wants to play that he has to use a controller. One of his favorite WII games is Wipepout, which is good therapy cause he has to use both hands on the controller, and he don't really care if he is not good at it. But he has a very floppy wrist and no grasp in his left hand, ad he can not raise his arm above his head. Would this affect how some games are scored or no. I am hoping it will be better than the WII for him, but wanting some opinions from people who have actually used it with BPI! Thank you for any advice anyone can give!
AK_Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: TRBPI on January 14, 2005 at the age of 14. Complete avulsion of C6-T1 with a very damaged C5, regained shoulder stability and bicep thanks to the team in Minnesota. If there is any fellow Alaskans here let me know! I don't get out of Alaska much.

Re: BPI and Xbox Kinect

Post by AK_Cara »

I prefer and own a wii but the kinect is a really cool tool, I do not own one but my best friend does and I've kind of played it but the Kinect does look at all the movements of the body (which affects the scores) and as far as me and my friend could tell there was no "handicap" setting or anything to let the game know the body is not functioning as a regular person's should. I have shoulder and bicep for movement only and all the games she had was very active two handers (dance revolution and some other sports or action ones, constantly throwing both hands in the air or having both arms going in opposite directions). I'm really hoping in the future the Xbox kinect will advance to be able to regrister and compensate for the lack of some body movements. This has at least been my experience with the kinect but with the wii the 'wii fit' game it has a lotta games you play with lil to no controller because of the board you stand on. It's one of my favorites because it works with balancing and when I have to use the controller it is only needed with the one hand :mrgreen: not to mention the different active games. Hoped this helped. :roll:
Master DIVER TOM

Re: BPI and Xbox Kinect

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Pinball Wizard,
I have been looking for post on this :roll:
I never could learn to do these games with sticks at all the (Way Back :shock: ;)
I Vote for the Wii ;)
Balance is just Fine- Really :D You would Gain from learning this as your other arm strengths it will be Large in time, balance Helps :D. I drove semi for years by building my good arms and improving grasp over time :shock:
I did find away to play Pin-ball :D My birth erbs arm I would take my good arm and grab my erbs one stretch it over to the opposite sided Good Exercise ;) I would place my hand on that side by the button, then I would use the Best strength finger to push the Button :roll: To Play :D I start with very little use to start in My erbs hand so even if I could only use one finger to use it ended in the way to improve two other fingers movement help to ;)
After this I use a small rubber ball to learn to squeeze alittle to strengthen grasp in 3 fingers.
So :roll:
WiI , Good for balance
Pin-ball its worth a try ITS FUN ;) :roll: Feels good to stretch and possible ways to use fingers or just one:roll: I think???? :shock: :P I really started with So little grasp till I learned to focus to just strengthen what I could :roll: . It Helps ;)
Just Thinking :roll:
Tom