Brag post

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My oldest daughter suffered a LOBPI. We were sent home form the hospital without being told anything was wrong. She had nerve graft surgery at one year of age, tendon transfer and release at 3 1/2 yrs of age.

Brag post

Post by Cara »

Ok I use to be on the boards a lot more when my daughter was younger, just wanted to share this for the new parents out there, because I knew I had a lot of fears about how my daughter's LOBPI would impact her life later on. Rosalynn just finished 7th grade. She is in an accelerated program at school and earned several high school credits by testing out of classes at the end of the year. She is also very active in 4H. She completed 24 projects for county fair this year. She earned a Grand Champion, 2 Reserve Grand Champions, 1 Champion, 3 Reserve Champions, 6 Honors and blues on all but 2 of her other projects (her herbs got reds because she didn't get them planted early enough for county fair) She also had two projects selected for state fair. She does several science and craft projects including crochet and knitting (she has found her own way to hold the yarn and make it work with her BPI) she has gotten really good at crochet and even makes up her own patterns. I was so blown away this weekend because she made this stuffed animal as a present for a friend based on an online comic they read. It was so detailed and she came up with how to do it all on her own. She is also in creative dramatics through 4H and this is her 3rd year with a major role. She is great about coming up with ways to adapt blocking and such so it works with her arm. She is great at advocating for herself and I could not be more proud of they young woman she is.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Brag post

Post by Carolyn J »

I am so very very proud of Rosalynn,Cara!
I hope she can "hook up' with other teens on Facebook too. She will be sooo helpful answering questions and sharing her ways of doing things...BTW if you can video cam a few of her "HOW toos" Rich is collecting how to" videos for UBPN 2014 CAMP. soo many parents and teens asked us adults informally last 2012's Camp ,Camp Coordinators hope to have enough videos for a scheduled program/presentation on "How Do YOu Do That"?

Send videos to rich@ubpn.org.

HUggs,
"gramma" Carolyn J
LOBPI/75.
ps I've ALWAYS wanted to crochet but my "leftie" could not tolerate holding yarn :(
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

First what great parents :D To support your child in there in - devour in life to try to adapt there way overtime, I am sure glad my mom was like you guys , To things I learn overtime with birth erbs 62 years ago :shock: like driving a motorcycle and semi for years and never had help with my erbs . I have read so many post with a way in life with these injuries :shock: For some reason These injuries from birth or latter in life seem to be about Tenacity , Imagination to adapt in creative ways in a life :roll: Seen so many post like This over time do to have this plus :shock: ;) :D
a good way would be that these 2 could hook at camp :roll: Nothing , like being that way to learn First hand to adapt :idea: :idea: There is always a next try in life, I would go to camp if I could help figure trys out for some in 2014 , It all about some one helping first hand in try to share ;) :D
Just thinking :roll: You could have a topic posted here for Trys you want to learn at camp from someone who has learn to do it , just like these guys need to meet at camp :shock: :roll:

I know Mr positive , These post make me :mrgreen: :D
Tom :shock:
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

Awesome!!! Truly amazing!