Pennsylvania is passing a new law so that motorcyclists...

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Francine_Litz

Pennsylvania is passing a new law so that motorcyclists...

Post by Francine_Litz »

don't have to wear helmets anymore while riding in PA.
I was curious to know what you guys thought of that.

As an ex-motorcyclist myself, I can't even imagine riding without a helmet because I never had a choice. How does one protect their face from stones, etc.? How do you deal with bugs? (my helmet always had a face protector).

-francine
Dave m

Re: Pennsylvania is passing a new law so that motorcyclists...

Post by Dave m »

hmm, very interesting Francine ~ if i remember Florida passed a law easing compulsory helmet use before the picnic (sometime in 2000?) if that still stands then it's victory of freedom of choice. Personally, a crash helmet has saved my brain from serious trauma or extinction twice,, but given the choice if it wasn't compulsory to wear a helmet here (UK) I would choose whether to or not, depending on circumstances. Ride a fast dirt bike these days and its a beast so i wear a lid ;O)
How you would deal with bugs is wear a cool pair of shades of course! lol
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Francine, When i was involved in my accident i had a helmet on and it saved my life. I live in Massachusetts where you have to wear a helmet. But when i crossed into New Hampshire the helmet would always come off. Looking back it was not the smartest thing to do but, there is nothing better than being able to choose. I think this is a good win for the people of PA. Weither you support this or not. If you know anything about Massachusetts, you would know that we have very little choice in this State. By the way the bugs don't hurt. if you have ever rode in the rain that's what they feel like, don't know about those stones.
Ed
jacko

Post by jacko »

The debate about whether or not to wear a helmet will rumble on forever. Although the lid may save your life, I think the ones that are required by law in the UK are too big and too heavy. I think the centrifugal and whiplash effect of the lid may well contribute towards BPI. I would like to see motorcyclists allowed to wear lightweight lids like those worn by cyclists, rock-climbers, horse-riders, and in some of the US states.

Even if there was absolute proof positive that helmets caused injuries more severe than simple concussion, the law would NEVER be repealed in the UK, because the UK government has FORCED us to wear these things since 1977. Imagine the claims we'd have against the government if it was admitted that for thirty years we'd been required to wear something that was injurious to our health.

Due to a loophole in the law, I do not have to wear a lid on a trike. So I don't, unless I WANT TO, to keep my ears warm, or my hair dry, or whatever. On a dry day, I wear a wooly hat in the winter, and nothing (on my head !) in the summer. I wear plastic-lensed sunglasses for eye protection in the day, and clear safety glasses at night. And yes, when it rains, and you don't wear a lid, at 40 miles per hour its like being tattooed in the face. Not pleasant, but nice when it stops. And there is always the chance that a huge lump of rock will fly up from the Macadam, or off the back of a lorry, and smash my cheeks to smithereens, but hey!, that's the chance you take.

Ride free. Wind in your face & bugs in your teeth.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I totally agree with you that when involved in hitting something on a motorcycle a helmet causes your head to be thrown around violently, and without a doubt can cause a bpi injury.
Ed
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I cannot comment on the rights and wrongs of wearing crash helmets as I am not a biker but I am a nurse and I have seen the terrible results of head injuries that are caused because a helmet was not worn. I never anticipated that I would experience this injury but my hubby had a motorbike accident and sustained a severe head injury he only survived because he was wearing a very good helmet. On the other hand he also had a TBPI which I am told could well have been exacerbated because he was wearing a helmet. A no win situation and a difficult one to debate.

Tina

lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

I agree with ya Jacko...let the rider decide...thank gawd we have people like M.A.G. here in the UK and F.E.M. in Europe...at least they have been active enough to stop our stupid government(s) from seriously trying to force the use of 'leg protectors' and other such daft notions on bikers. Personally, I would always wear a lid even if it wasn't forced upon me 'cos I REALLY can't stand the thought of bugs in me teeth, but I say again...let the rider decide, NOT some gormless twit in government.....oooh don't start me off!! ;0(
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

Montana has a law that you don't have to wear one either. A good friend of mine and her husband got into a motorcycle accident and believe it or not, it was the first time she had ever worn a helmet!! She is still such a mess from her accident. Had she not had her helmet on she would have died.
herff94

Post by herff94 »

My boyfriend had one on, it cracked in half and he died. I did not have on and I lived.............
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sounds like you were extremely lucky