Cold Arm cold Face... Neck & ear Annoying...

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Kathleen

Cold Arm cold Face... Neck & ear Annoying...

Post by Kathleen »

Is it just me or does everyone who had Horner's have a problem with their face getting so cold at night it wakes you up??

It is not cold here this year but my arm and hand freeze expecially at night and I am soooo cold sensitive on the right bpi side. Now I really notice that my right ear,neck and cheek are so cold. I tried something new. The pjs with the polar fleece well one gets dressed on to my pillow and it helps a bit but this is so annoying. I just bought flannel pillow cases I'll see if this works. My pillow looks funny in a PJ top... LOL...

I was just wondering am I the only one this happens to????
Kath
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cold Arm cold Face... Neck & ear Annoying...

Post by admin »

Kath,
I don't have Horner's but I've noticed that in the winter even if it isn't real cold, by arm and fingers get absolutely icy,to the point that it is painful. They almost feel like the have been burned. Middle and ring finger's are the worst. I'm also getting a lot more neck spasms lately on the Erb's side. It's either the weather or old age. Have you ever thought about one of thse heated air or water mattresses? How about one of those old fashioned night caps? Stay warm. Pat
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kath,
Wrote a big long reply last night and it's not here. If this one shows up I'll re-write it. My computer seems to be a pain lately. Got the _email. I don't have Horners, but have a lot of problems with icy hands especially fingers . This year it's been worse than usual. My fingers are so cold they're painful. Also seems like an increase in back and neck problems. Is it the cold or old age? Get yourself an old fashioned night cap or fuzzy bunny ears. How about one of those microwave pillows. They're supposed to stay warm for hours.
Ohio is cold. Yuk!!! Will write more if this goes through.Take care and stay warm. Pat
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

I signed up for auto log in and just noticed that it shows me as a guest. Mabe that's why my posts aren't showing up. Or maybe I should leave all of the profanity out?????????Pat
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

lol.... lol.... pat they have filters....LOL....you need to use the @#$@#$ method. LOL>>>>LOL....

So you are the Mystery guest.... no post just listed...

Kath
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

Anyway, I'm sitting here in Ohio freezing. Do you have a problem with icy fingers in the winter on the good hand? I don't have Horner's so I can't relater to the cold face. I do hear there are pillows that you put in the microwave that are supposed to stay warm for hours. As far as the ear, knit a little ear warmer-you'll be the talk of the town. It may take off as a new fashion trend. For some dumb reason, I sat here today and tried to raise my elbow off the arm of the chair. That darn thing wouldn't move an inch. You'd think I'd know that after 49 years. Is that being bored on a winter day, or what? So do you have any ideas on awareness for adult OBPI? I think the fact that unless you look close at us,we look like someone with 2 good arms. Consequently,we are expected to do everything a 2 armed person can do. also,just because we may struggle to complete something isn't always good. People have to realize that as we struggle and tax or muscles and nerves, it triggers a flareup with the arthritis ,carpal tunnel, fibromyalgia etc. If we are yto keep functioning at the level we're at now, the arms need to rest. Any ideas? Also,send me that fuzzy jammie top that's on your pillow. My feet are cold!Pat
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My obpi hand and fingers are always freezing in the winter! Today in work, everyone felt warm and my hand was still cold! I walked over to a friend and put my hand against hers when she looked at me like," Are you kidding?" when they were all complaining of being hot, and I said my hand felt like ice. She couldn't believe how it felt! Sometimes I just pull my sleve down over it at my desk. It helps.
Now, as for the face, I am 51 and in the midst of menopause, so those hot flashes always keep my face toasty. Too bad you don't get them in your hands and arms...them maybe they'd actually be useful right now.
LOL!
-Stephanie
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Pat
You said it all... as for my fuzzy jammie...not on your life....LOL... I love it... if I sit with my arm still too long my hand will freeze but even when I am typing and moving my fingers fast my bpi hand and arm are sooo cold... I can use the thumb and pointer and middle finger on bpi side but the ring and pinkie move sort of...
You are right we "look almost normal" therefore we should function normal... I sat the other day and tried to supinate or move my elbow... they still don't work...

It seems we pay a high price for years of compensation.

My non - un affecter - healthy arm... does not exist...
I have neuroma on the wrist and brachialradial myopathy and ulna problems and my hand is HOT and stings all the time...
I wake up at night trying to warm one hand and arm and find a cold spot to put the other "healthy arm"... is that hot stuff... I can't tell if I am freezing or burning... one sleeve on one sleeve off...
I feel like "deedle deedle dumpling my son JOHN".... grrr.. so silly and sooo annoying.....

The left hand and arm stings all the time...
The right just does not follow directions....
so I guess I am just one mixed up nerve network!!!!

I think we need to find out more information for a long range study and compile data from this board to submit for an Awareness sheet and then maybe we can get a long range study. The doctors doing the study would only have to come to the boards to find us... LOL... If so many of us are reporting the same damages maybe some are preventable...

Its funny how proud our families were of the way we coped and compensated with out complaint... but now when we do complain... they don't like it! they think we should be use to it...
If I say anything to my siblings I get the answer... "Look how well you did and no one really notices, you never complained and you are so much better then lots of others"...
I want to smack them now with my right hand!!! just once!!!!! LOL... and they have never seen any others with any type of bpi.... I just want to tie there hands down for a day... LOL... ok fantasy is over.... LOL...
Kath
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Stephanie... LOL

I never realized how I would miss those hot flashes!!!!! LOL... I forgot about them... LOL... NOT!!!

I don't need ice in my soda... just hold the glass in the right hand... ops then how would I drink it... LOL..
Kath
Janny-scotland

Post by Janny-scotland »

hi all,
i dont have horners but get very cold in my right side all the same. i always wear a black chennille glove when im on the computer to kkep my hand warm....the kids dont call me mum anymore....they call me michael (jackson)LOL

take care,
Janny