Learning to Drive

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Learning to Drive

Post by admin »

Is there anyone in Britain who has had a car adapted to learn to drive one armed and also sat the driving test one armed.

I have recently started to learn to drive one armed, I bought an old automatic car which needs adapting, I have looked at the Lodgesons site, there is a steering ball with indicator and light switches on it but it costs around £500, I do not have that kind of money to spend as it will be our 2nd family car. Does anyone know of any help towards the cost of adapting a car in Britian.

thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Learning to Drive

Post by admin »

Duncan

Hi my names Leon and I'm from Hampshire(England) and i learnt to drive one-armed in summer 2003.I was lucky as the insurance company helped me with funding. The adaptations i have are a Lodgesons product, its an infra red control panal that wires directly into the cars wiring loom operating the main functions of the controls indicators,wipers,horn etc.Steeering is done with a ball on the steering wheel, as a previous fork-lift truck driver this was'nt to difficult to come to terms with.You said that you've just brought a car, i know that not all Lodgesons controls can be adapted for every car.To try and help there is a list of other suppliers you can get from the road research lab(crowthorne,berkshire).I don't know if you've looked into it but part of The Disability Living Allowance is Motability which if qualified can help with these kind of things.Since the summer i've done about 8000 miles and now it feels really natural apart from making my wrist ache.But i would swap anyday for my mororbike.

Good luck Duncan and i hope it works out with the driving

p.s. there are also places around the uk where you can do a driving assesment in an adapted car with a tutor to advise you(mine was at a hospital in Kent) they give you a report which goes to the DVLA where they will amend your liscense taking into account of your disabilities.The price for mine was about £40
Susana

Post by Susana »

I drive, but don't use the knob. It is easier w/o it.
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

I am a Yank and may will say I am crazy but I have been driving one handed for two and a half years now, with NO ADAPTATIONS! The vehicle that I drive, Chevy Blazer, does come factory installed with radio controlls on the steering wheel which is really what I need, get bored with the same station or CD. I am RTBPI so my tickers and wipers are already on my left side, where I need them. I think you have to do what comfy for you. Ther eare times in this nasty snow that we get here in Michigan that I get nervous, but other than that I am ok! Best of luck!

Courtney xo
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In the UK that would definetly be illegal.Here if you had an accident driving with one arm and no authorised adaptions you would be in very big trouble espically if someone got hurt,Probably prison,fine and no-one would ever insure you again.
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

Hi Duncan

Check this site out..http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d ... 03280.hcsp
It's for MAVIS and they should be able to help you out with info about driving one-handed etc.

I am pretty sure that you will have to have some kind of adaption to be able to pass the driving test here in the U.K. If during the test you had to remove your hand from the steering wheel, for instance to use the indicators, then I am pretty sure it will be an instant fail. You could try asking your question on the TBPI Group messageboard....more Brits on there! ;0)link is http://pub28.ezboard.com/badultswithbra ... usinjuries

Liz :0)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In the UK that would definetly be illegal.Here if you had an accident driving with one arm and no authorised adaptions you would be in very big trouble espically if someone got hurt,Probably prison,fine and no-one would ever insure you again
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In the UK that would definetly be illegal.Here if you had an accident driving with one arm and no authorised adaptions you would be in very big trouble espically if someone got hurt,Probably prison,fine and no-one would ever insure you again
jacko

Post by jacko »

It is possible to get 2nd hand Lodgesons units, fitted for about half the price of a new one. See your local fitment agent names can be found at the Motability website http://www.motability.co.uk . I use Brig-Ayd Controls, in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire. They are brilliant there. It is well worth getting the unit fitted, but bear in mind that you could have it fitted to ONE car, and take it off when someone else is driving. It takes 10 seconds to remove or refit the knob from the steering wheel.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi all, Well I drive a semi and have done so for years I only have simple grasp in my Erbs arm.If I can help any of you on tips,just ask.Tell me about the problem your having and detail it. Totally I drove for years Iam 50.If I was driving in England with the sterring wheel on the other side automatic is the only way to go.I would be out of luck trying to shift with my Erbs Arm.The rest is all about qeustion and that I can help with.Tom