Ambushed by IEP

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My oldest daughter suffered a LOBPI. We were sent home form the hospital without being told anything was wrong. She had nerve graft surgery at one year of age, tendon transfer and release at 3 1/2 yrs of age.

Ambushed by IEP

Post by Cara »

Ok i get a call today from the OT saying that Our IEP is coming up in the next two weeks because our special ed teacher is going on maternity leave. This is the first I have heard about it. Urggghhh. Anyway our Ot says that Rosalynn is doing great and she doesn't need therapy through the school anymore. She is 3 and in preschool. We had to fight to get 15 min a week and now they want ot take that away. What ticks me off the most is seeing her loosing ground since Nov. We lost PT and ot through first steps because of her age and are having a tough time getting pt/ot through insurance. It is like nobody wants to work with her because of her age. And forget finding someone with experience with this. It is all so frustrating. I am so cheesed that they just want to drop the IEP meeting inour lap like this. My husband has to ask off two weeks in advanced and I teach. I was hoping to schedule the IEP over my spring break so I wouldn't have to take yet another day off work.

Any advice or suggestions?
JanAmes

Re: Ambushed by IEP

Post by JanAmes »

I'm having to work on IEP issues myself after having my ADHD daughter screened for dyslexia, the school came back with 7/7 indicators but is reducing her services.

You should have a notice from the school about the procedures and your legal rights. The one I have shows that the ARD "meetings must take place at a time and place agreed upon by you and the school. The school must make reasonable efforts to find a time that you are able to meet." You can disagree with any decisions they make if they hold the ARD without you and you have the right to call another ARD at any time. They have to show you why they determined that services were no longer needed -having a teacher go on maternity leave does not release them from the responsibility of providing service. I am just learning that there are people out there that are advocates for free (parents that have been through it themselves) see if you can find one in your area. Call the PT/OT folks you used to see at First Steps to get referrals too. Good Luck!